ex-cichlasoma salvini male?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
How accurate is it that the female has a black splotch on the dorsal fin and on the back of the gill plate and the male don't?
Going by that I think this is a male what do you all think?

Attachments

• salvini8.19.14.4.jpg
    salvini8.19.14.4.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 98
  • salvini8.19.14.1.jpg
    salvini8.19.14.1.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 91
He's about 4" still young

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No black on dorsal fin or gill plate at that size and you got a male. Here's a female I used to have

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1408551615553.jpg
    1408551615553.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 78
Dont know if that pic worked

1408551797055.jpg

Thanks for confirming what I thought

No black on dorsal fin or gill plate at that size and you got a male. Here's a female I used to have

Beautiful coloration. Was she kept alone or with a mate?

Beautiful coloration. Was she kept alone or with a mate?

She was in my 125g with a male jag, male midas, and male festae that were all in the 3-6" range... probably the toughest cichlid, pound for pound, I've ever owned and regret getting rid of her. Aggression was getting to be too much to worry about, only have the male jag left and am growing out a group of 8 juveniles to try and get a female to try my hand at breeding. Definitely will be getting another Salvini in the future when i have room for more tanks.

They are absolutely stunning if you can get good stock. Fortunately mine is a stunning female, but I have to say she's pretty well behaved. She only got nasty when trying to breed with my Sajica male and she tried to chew a larger cichlids face off. I had to do some moving around after that. One of my favourite fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea I just spent 2 hours catching the last 4 dithers. Last night he decided the Buenos Aires tetras were food after spending 6 months with them.

Back
Top Bottom