Expanding .....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well as you all know I have my discus tank and I am expanding, Not in the sense of a bigger tank, but the variety of fish I keep. The tank is only a 33 gal tank (small I know), there are 4 juvi discus in there. But in the meantime while they are juvi's can I add some more fish.

I allready have: 4 Juvi Discus
2 Bolivian Rams

I would like to add: 2 cockatoo dwarf cichlids
2 Bristlenose Plecs.

So Can I in the meantime while they are small. Or will there be to much waste?

I was also not sure on the idea of 2 bolivian rams and 2 cockatoo's I was not sure if they will fish or not.

Here's my take on this Steven. You're gaining experience and experience will tell what is right and wrong. I'm a believer that juvi discus are always best kept with other juvi discus only.

Keeping too many fish in a smallish tank, especially with other more active species will keep them from attaining their full size. Plus, you're running the risk of introducing pathogens that can be potentially fatal to your discus. Juvis are far more susceptable to disease than adult discus.

Ok, Thank you for your take on the subject. I need some bristlenose lol ... algea control :roll: . I will forget about the cockattos and consider two more juvi discus when pay day arrives :D. How will I introduce them to a allready formed group as these four have been together for about 4 monthes I think.

In addition to BrianNY's point, I would think that you may have difficulty keeping the cockatoos with the Bolivians, especially if either species were to spawn. Each of those species will spend its time almost exclusively near the bottom of the tank, and IMO they would not have enough room to establish their territories. I think it might be ok in a large tank. I've never kept the cockatoos (can't find them here EVER), but I am basing my opinion on my Bolivians- they can be quite territorial and I've heard similar things about the cockatoos.

Thank you for you opinion severum mama. I have a hard situation to make, as my original plan was to get cockatoo's as I have wanted them for a long time (about a year and a half) after keeping my kribensis. But I could not get hold of them so I settled for the only dwarf cichlids in the shop. Bolivian rams. I have been offered money for my rams and my shop has brought in some cockatoo's that are fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom