Eye swollen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swimwithme

Aquarium Advice Freak
An someone tell me if they have ever seen this before? I just noticed it tonight. What should I do?

image-183723530.jpg

Attachments

• image-3961719990.jpg
    image-3961719990.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 106
That looks like popeye, which is usually caused by bad water quality. What are your water levels?

Bettababe1011 said:
That looks like popeye, which is usually caused by bad water quality. What are your water levels?

Ammo 0 ppm, No2 0 ppm, No3 30 to 40 ppm, PH 7.4

My weekly scheduled pwc is tomorrow. My baby is in bed and I would wake her. Can I wait to do my pwc until then? I know my trates seem high, but I can't seem to ever get them below 30. They have been this way from the beginning. I did a fish less cycle. Took about 3 months. I got my rams about 2 months ago. They even laid eggs last week but I think the tetras ate them.

kelbaker79 said:
+1...I agree, looks like pop-eye. Usually the cause is the water quality or an injury. Here is some info for you :)

http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/dec07/fish-popeye.htm

Thanks for the info. I'm almost thinking it's an injury. It's only on one eye. I don't have another tank I can move her to. I will start with a large pwc first thing in the morning and continue doing them each day. Hopefully this will help. Can I put Epsom salt in the tank with the other fish? I have 8 Serpae tetras, 5 panda Cory's, 5 kuhli loaches, and 4 bgrs.

swimwithme said:
Thanks for the info. I'm almost thinking it's an injury. It's only on one eye. I don't have another tank I can move her to. I will start with a large pwc first thing in the morning and continue doing them each day. Hopefully this will help. Can I put Epsom salt in the tank with the other fish? I have 8 Serpae tetras, 5 panda Cory's, 5 kuhli loaches, and 4 bgrs.

Epsom salt can help with popeye, but is not a cure for it. You can use it alongside an antibiotic. I think the dose is 1-3 teaspoons per 5 gallons. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!!) With popeye though, if its due to injury, a lot of times they can develop a secondary infection, in which case you could raise the temp and use Aquarium Salt. Dose is 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. Neither SHOULD hurt your fishes, if done properly. Maybe someone else can chime in, I'm not an expert, I'm just speaking from my experience :) I hope it works for you!!! Keep us updated!

Ok, I got a 5 gallon from Walmart and it is up and running with some of my filter media from my established tank and the poor fishy is in there. I have treated the water with Epsom salt and some Melafix. That was all could get my hands on today. I'm hoping that I caught it in time. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom