Fact/fiction And please explain your answer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Heard that overstocking/overcrowding NOT to a ridiculous degree but to a certain level. The overstocking will cut down on aggression in a Cichlid tank.

Again this is something I just heard from a friend who suggested adding maybe 2-3 more fish to cut back on aggression. I'm not having the issue. Was just a general conversation.

jetajockey said:
It's common practice in african cichlid tanks, not so much with SA/CA though.

Gotcha... I have a 55 with 6 convicts and was always curious what if anything I could add. Oh and a BN pleco. I had a pair of FM and I really liked them but I had to re-home due to the excessive bullying to my convicts believe it or not. The FM were brutal and relentless. So I was wondering of I'm done, a convict tank and that's it?

Would have likes to have added some more fish, something different to look at. Maybe something that swim in a different area like middle swimmers or something.

Again just thinking out loud.

You could, but honestly I'd move out most of the convicts first. When they start spawning and guarding eggs/fry it will turn into a war zone. Breeding SA cichlids are extremely difficult to stock around.

jetajockey said:
You could, but honestly I'd move out most of the convicts first. When they start spawning and guarding eggs/fry it will turn into a war zone. Breeding SA cichlids are extremely difficult to stock around.

Ok so what options do I have and how many convicts would I have to re- home to get a more versatile tank. I have room no?

How about re-home them all to my LFS and do africans? Then how many can I add? And the colors would be cool and I could stock!

I'm not very good with african stocking but I do know that many people use 55's to do it. I think that's the best way to go if you want a lot more activity in the tank. If I was trying to avoid spawning in a species I'd get a few of the same sex, preferably female, but that's just a general statement, I have never had to deal with convicts in that way.

jetajockey said:
I'm not very good with african stocking but I do know that many people use 55's to do it. I think that's the best way to go if you want a lot more activity in the tank. If I was trying to avoid spawning in a species I'd get a few of the same sex, preferably female, but that's just a general statement, I have never had to deal with convicts in that way.

Gotcha thanks. I'll start a thread in the Cichlid section.

Back
Top Bottom