Feeder fish tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olewillis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon tank with a Oscar in it, so naturally I enjoy feeding it live food. I also have a empty ten gallon tank. Does anyone have knowledge/success stories with breeding live food??? I was thinking guppies or rosey reds?

I haven't bred rosey reds but I looked into it and they are pretty easy, I would suggest guppies over rosey reds though. I recently started breeding guppies as live food for my tiger fish and so far so good. The problem with rosey reds and feeder goldfish is that they contain an enzyme called thiaminase which can lead to thyamin deficiency in your fish that eats them. This has been said to cause numerous health issues. So again I would recommend going with live bearers. You could even go with mollies, platys, or swordtails.

What would be the turn over on something like guppies?

Olewillis said:
What would be the turn over on something like guppies?

I have 2 adult guppies in a 5 gallon and probably 30 fry from the past 4 months. More adults mean more babies.

I would advise against convicts, they have spinier fins which can cause internal injury of the fish eating them.

kdpuffer said:
I would advise against convicts, they have spinier fins which can cause internal injury of the fish eating them.

Depends how young the fry is when you feed it to them if they are wigglers or a little bigger I won't not worry about it at all

That's a lot of wigglers to fill up an Oscar, it would make sense to me to have the feeder fish grown to a size that they offer a decent sized meal all while providing the safest and healthiest feast possible. I can understand feeding convicts as they are prolific breeders but personally it isn't worth the risk to my expensive tiger fish.

I would reccomend feeder guppies, or endlers. The fry grow pretty fast though, and the guppies will give birth about every two weeks, with about twenty fry per batch.

Back
Top Bottom