Feeder Shrimp First Feeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just wanted to say to all those who haven't ever fed they're cichlids feeder shrimp, holy cow! I bought about 15 feeders from tiny little things to 2 larger 1" shrimp, I just fed a tiny pinch of my normal pellets and released the hounds on the shrimp, it was chaos! But my cichlids loved them and even though a few smaller ones but off more than they could chew, ill now be giving em feeder shrimp every Friday starting next week, I wanna mix up they're diet a bit. I highly recommend this as a good show and good protein for happy cichlids! That is all lol

Ghost shrimp are supposed to be good for their reds. My Africans LOVE the ghost shrimps I feed them. It's a fun show as well watching them chase, and catch, and eat the little buggers.

Ghost shrimp are supposed to be good for their reds. My Africans LOVE the ghost shrimps I feed them. It's a fun show as well watching them chase, and catch, and eat the little buggers.

I'm pretty sure that's what these were, they were almost transparent and my lfs said the ones with green bellies were pregnant so there were alot of lost shrimp lol

Dont feed too much protein as it will lead to bloat. Its ok for an ocassional treat but not all the time.

I wouldn't go ghost shrimp once a week. That's a lot a protein. Especially for mbuna. Maybe once a month or every couple of weeks. After the shrimp I would fast then for a day as well to help prevent bloat. Maybe for next weeks treat offer a frozen food. (Brine shrimp, blood worms, emerald entree)

I wouldn't go ghost shrimp once a week. That's a lot a protein. Especially for mbuna. Maybe once a month or every couple of weeks. After the shrimp I would fast then for a day as well to help prevent bloat. Maybe for next weeks treat offer a frozen food. (Brine shrimp, blood worms, emerald entree)

what do you reccomend? i wanna treat twice a month ghost shrimp being one and the other..?

Would feeder guppies be too much protein as well?

Any live food along with most frozen foods will be mostly protein so weekly treats are ok. From what I understand a lot of Africans who do not require a large amount of protein in their normal diet will not be able to tolerate a large amount and coup lead to digestive issues and possible kidney problems. Bloat is another possibility.

Back
Top Bottom