Feeding on vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kgray084

Aquarium Advice Newbie
When you go away how do you handle feedings? I have someone stopping in 2x in 5 days but my fish are usually fed once a day. Will they be fine or is there a feeder I can get ?

5 days on vacation? No need to feed at all. As stated by @charliebankston, fish can go 2 weeks without food.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I have been feeding mine twice a day.. am I the only one that has fish that get anxious and feisty when they are hungry?? Lol. I'm scared my fish would kill each other if they went any length of time without food! Haha.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I have been feeding mine twice a day.. am I the only one that has fish that get anxious and feisty when they are hungry?? Lol. I'm scared my fish would kill each other if they went any length of time without food! Haha.
Fish are cold blooded and don't need much food. A tropical fishes stomach is as big as their eye ball, very small. You should only feed one eye balls worth of food once a day. So you have 6 fish means only six eye balls worth of food. This turns out to be about 1% of their weight.

There is a feeder out there. I use one because I go away a lot. It works great! It’s called Imagitarium, I got it from PetSmart or PetCo. I frequent both so I can’t say for sure which one. But I believe it’s PetSmart.

I concur on keeping feeding to a minimum. I have someone come in once a day, BUT, I purchase coin envelopes and put the correct amount of food in there so I know the fish are not being over fed. All my babysitter has to do is dump my amount in the coin envelope in the tank. I also date each of them, but I’m a little OCD.

I concur on keeping feeding to a minimum. I have someone come in once a day, BUT, I purchase coin envelopes and put the correct amount of food in there so I know the fish are not being over fed. All my babysitter has to do is dump my amount in the coin envelope in the tank. I also date each of them, but I’m a little OCD.
That's a great idea!

That’s such a great idea! I like the service Rover, who led me to an adequate fish babysitter, but I think she likely over fed my fish while I was away. Thanks :)

For decades I have kept fish, I let them go without food for up to a couple of weeks when we are away.

Back
Top Bottom