Feel silly asking....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so down time at the firehouse for me has become fish education and how to keep a healthy aquarium 101. I'm buying books, reading tons of threads and doing a lot researching. It's fun and ya learn something new everyday. I also see how many people have different opinions on do many things. Which is good, it makes us who we are as an individual.

With that being said here's my silly question.

Had my LFS guy test my water today. He has accounts all over Westchester county, saltwater and freshwater. I trust him. I filled my 4 five gallon buckets today and treated them all accordingly. I should have waited because he says NOT to do a water change because from the readings which I apologizes for not having, but he said the tank is working and looks like I'm in the middle or just past the middle of my fishin cycle. He said let the tank work with what I treated it with. He said it needs a few days and just keep testing it like I am twice a day. I have his cell and if anything is really wrong then move forward with the change but the tank needs to work right now he said. I dunno I'm no professional and new to this. What I'm asking is since I have the buckets out, filled and treated how long can they sit? He said if anything Monday would be another water change of 20-50% depending on numbers.

Sorry for the ramble... Raining out and no fire calls so I have a lot of time to read up on this hobby.

Did he tell you what your actual readings were?

I would presume you could leave the buckets there for at least a few days. It would be like having a rain barrel that you would be drawing tank water from. :)

Maybe you can take a little of that downtime and go on-line to order yourself an API master kit...... I would recommend kensfish.com. They're about $23 there and his service is outstanding.

By the way, thanks very much for being a fireman.

go on-line to order yourself an API master kit

IMO this is something everyone should have if you own an aquarium. +1 on getting one ASAP.

Ok so down time at the firehouse for me has become fish education and how to keep a healthy aquarium 101. I'm buying books, reading tons of threads and doing a lot researching. It's fun and ya learn something new everyday. I also see how many people have different opinions on do many things. Which is good, it makes us who we are as an individual.

I know what you mean. Ever since I started this up I have been reading like crazy. There is so much to learn! When my girlfriend gets done with college, we're going to move to the coast and I'm planning on going to a college that I can major in Marine Biology. So all this reading is definitely going to pay off :)

Personally, I don't believe a water change will adversely impact your cycle in any way, but if you do want to wait you can cover the buckets and they will be fine for a couple of days. The only concern might be aeration.

He said the readings weren't bad, I forget exact I Remember Ph was 6.8 he was happy with that. Ammonia was a little high but he said I need that in the tank so right now at the level it was to leave it and No2, No3 were I forget the numbers but he said he wasn't concerned just yet. He just said that it appears to be nearing the end of the middle of the cycle phase.

Also just to add. I do have the API Master kit I just didn't have time to check it on a run out of the firehouse to get some paperwork done so I scooped some tank water up and dropped it off to my friend at his store. I test right now twice a day. So bottom line... The treated water in the buckets will be ok until say.... Sunday? Or should I just dump it and refill on Saturday? I usually fill the night before so the temp drops. My water tends to get cold.

Can you do a test right now and tell us the Ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAte levels?

You could also invest into a water changer so you don't have to do the buckets. While doing a fish in cycle you typically have to do water changes every day to keep the levels low enough for the fish. A good one is the python, or aqueon water changer.

Like HN1 said, water changes won't effect your cycle. So you need to do many of them during this time to keep fish healthy. I was doing 2 changes a day on my 55g for a while.

HN1 said:
Personally, I don't believe a water change will adversely impact your cycle in any way, but if you do want to wait you can cover the buckets and they will be fine for a couple of days. The only concern might be aeration.

He said something about disruption and letting what's in the tank do its thing right now. I'm new here so I don't know an of you don't ask questions well... You never learn. So I like to get different feedback and see what others think. I may listen to him or I may do the change anyway. I'm going to call him later and just get details on why he was so stern with saying DO NOT do a water change today and wait until Sunday-Monday.

I will test when I get home at 3:30 and post here in this thread. Water changer huh? Will look into this! Where do I get one and how does it work? No more buckets!? Sounds good to me!

He said something about disruption and letting what's in the tank do its thing right now. I'm new here so I don't know an of you don't ask questions well... You never learn. So I like to get different feedback and see what others think. I may listen to him or I may do the change anyway. I'm going to call him later and just get details on why he was so stern with saying DO NOT do a water change today and wait until Sunday-Monday.

Read this: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Ammonia and NitrIte are toxic to your fish. BB (beneficial bacteria) grows on surfaces, such as the glass, substrate and decor. But mainly it grows in your filter media. It does not reside in the water, so doing changes (as long as the water is temp matched and treated with a good water conditioner) is great for your fish tank. It helps restore pH levels and all the nutrients in the tank. When you get to the end of a cycle your pH can crash, water changes helps reduce this.

"Acceptable" levels of Ammonia / Nitrite is .25. But you still want to do a water change if you get any trace of them in your water.

I will test when I get home at 3:30 and post here in this thread. Water changer huh? Will look into this! Where do I get one and how does it work? No more buckets!? Sounds good to me!

YES! It's GREAT! lol

When I was dealing with buckets and a fish-in cycle I was so annoyed by it. Someone on these forums told me about the water changes, man is it so much better. You just attach it to your sink and turn the sink on and temp match the water (by hand is fine). It will drain your water from the tank into your sink, then fill it back up. :)

I'd recommend using Seachem Prime water conditioner while using a water changer. You add the full dosage of your tank volume directly to your tank, even if you're only removing 25% of the water. This stuff actually helps detoxify the ammonia/nitrite (not remove, just make them non-harmful) for 24hrs. So if you're doing water changes every day, it really helps keep healthy fish during a fish-in cycle :)

Just a heads up, they are usually like $50 in stores, but you can order them online for around $20.

Ok thanks... I'm very impatient so I called they have a 25ft water changer so on my list is...

Leave work
Say hello to wife
Go to LPS get changer
Test water and post

Then maybe just do the water change anyway. Like you said it can't hurt. Now about the Prime dosing, I'm use to treating the buckets first. So now I'll be adding to tank directly correct? So when do I do it? When it's full again or when it's at the 50 or 75% mark?

This is how I do it:

1. Turn off heater and filters.
2. Drain 30-40% water
3. Dose my tank directly with Seachem Prime. (1cap = 50g) 55g tank, so I add a full cap.
4. Match temp from water on your sink to your tank by hand
5. Add water back to tank
6. Turn on heater, filters

Done!

Ok here it is.

Ph 6.8
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 10

See thread on water changer. It was a bust.

I wanted on but was told we didnt have the $$ I was changing with buckets then I fell n broke my hand. So I had to get the Guys to help... Wow part way thru the first time my hubby went and bought me one!!!! He's lazy! He asked how the heck I carried all those buckets all the time!!!! Well worth the $$!!!!

Back
Top Bottom