Female bettas + cockatoo dwarf cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wint3rz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all newbie to forums here :)

Im finding it impossible to find an answer to this, is it possible to have a group of female betta's in with a small group of cockatoo cichlids, the reason why i ask is that i was planning on getting 1 male and 3 female cockatoo cichlids and when i went to wetpets to see if they had any( which they didnt)i seen a group of 10+ female betta's in a tank with a couple of bolivian rams and as betta's are my favourite fish, it got me thinking.

So i would love to hear the experts opinions on the matter.

Thanks
Ash

What size tank? If it's a smaller tank I'd lean towards a trio of apistos rather than the 4 that you have in mind. The fish should be compatible but tank size will help determine whether or not you can do it.

What size tank? If it's a smaller tank I'd lean towards a trio of apistos rather than the 4 that you have in mind. The fish should be compatible but tank size will help determine whether or not you can do it.

Hi thanks for reply the tank is a juwel vision 180 litre, dimensions are 92cm Length x 41cm width x 55cm height.

Fish i want to stock are
4 cockatoo's - 1M 3F
8 Pygmy Cory catfish
6 Female fighters
6 diamond tetra
3 Bristlenose Pleco's 1M 2F

I'd suggest cutting the BN plecos down to a male and a female. The general rule of thumb for algae control using them is one per 20 gallons and you will have roughly a 46g tank. You will have a lot of bottom dwellers as the plecos, cories, and apistos will spend most of their time on the bottom of the tank. I'd also cut the cories down to 6 and the apistos down to 1 male and 2 females. You will want at least three makeshift caves in that tank and those will tank up space too. I also recommend some driftwood for the plecos to rasp on.

Back
Top Bottom