Festae? Red Devil? Are/Can they be two different fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hungrytony037

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been gone from this hobby for awhile now (before flowerhorn, parrot or Asian arrowanas where beyond reach) but I am back with more time and a bit more money.

Anyways what is the difference or is there one between Festae and red devils. The red devils I remember where predominately reddish orange to a light orange. Now I seen images of the Festae with red devil after them and a more natural color and in my opinion better looking. Are the Festae considered a wild caught or from that lineage. When you google it, if you type in red devil you get the orange red looking fish, if you type in Festae, you get the natural looking one. Here are pics of what came up when I typed in Festae red devil, red devil and red devil cichlid.

Attachments

• image-3584916647.jpg
    image-3584916647.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 132
  • image-2102227730.jpg
    image-2102227730.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 143
Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not be offended by the middle picture but it was what popped up when red devil was typed in. After a short while with this group I have learned a lot and have been scolded quite a bit but I learned that you all do have a sense of humor. But seriously I would appreciate distinguishing the two devils and who is the real one.

Red Devil
Amphilophus labiatum
Red Terror
Cichlasoma festae
I found what I was looking for. Two different fish just miss the "terror" vs. Devil.

Got it just as you answered. Thanks,

The red devil was used to make the flower horn not the red terror. Right? Red terrors I take it are rare especially compared to the devil. Thanks again.

It took me two years to track down nine Festae, where as I can by Red Devils at Petsmart. The Festae are insanely aggressive, they are only 2-3" and some have already been killed.

Terrors are also bigger and don't get a konk? In the link you sent in the description for devils it states there "peaceful". I don't remember them being that way.

By the way I moved all my fish around as recommended. And like I stated I got a hold of a 300 gl plexiglas tank which is intended for the frontosa but I really like the adult images of the Festae. In my opinion cichlids from the Americas have more character but the ones from Lake Tanganyika have always held a special place. East Africa is a different world.

Terrors are also bigger and don't get a konk? In the link you sent in the description for devils it states there "peaceful". I don't remember them being that way.

By the way I moved all my fish around as recommended. And like I stated I got a hold of a 300 gl plexiglas tank which is intended for the frontosa but I really like the adult images of the Festae. In my opinion cichlids from the Americas have more character but the ones from Lake Tanganyika have always held a special place. East Africa is a different world.
i LOLed at the second pic. im pretty sure the hump is called a kok

Festae are rare to come by I'm in maryland and we just received our 2nd order of 20 1" babies. Hmm I may need to go tank shopping.

Festae are rare to come by I'm in maryland and we just received our 2nd order of 20 1" babies. Hmm I may need to go tank shopping.

I would make sure they are actually Festae, there are loads of people selling Mayans telling people they are Red Terrors....which is why Mayans are called False Red Terrors.

Mayans are also known as Mojarras? But in latin america most cichlids are known as tilapia and once fried mojarra. Another thing I read is that the Mayan was one of the fishes used in the development of the Flowerhorn. Is that true?

Attachments

• image-3433543614.jpg
    image-3433543614.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 80
I've never heard of definitive answer to what fish the flowerhorn comes from, everything from red devil/midas, trimacs, and blood parrots to name a few.

Well they look like real ones oh well I'm just gona do my job a sell fish. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom