Festae tank mate with dithers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccp2007

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any ideas on a tank mate for my female Festae?

I was hoping for a chocolate cichlid and maybe 3 tin foils but wanted your opinion.

I also have a snow white crawfish with my Festae. She's just so much prettier when she has a tank mate.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How big is this festae and what tank size. True red festae rarely ever allow tank mates, and a chocolate is a slow, gentle giant, I would not put one in with a red terror. The tin foils will act as target fish, not dither fish. Dither bring shy individuals out of hiding, target fish are fish for the other to bully and push around so they won't take it out on their mate or other important fish in the tank as much

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Festae are one of the top 10 most aggressive cichlids btw

She is about 4" and she's temporarily in a 55 until we set up a 120

She's at just about the size where aggression comes in. These are one of the meanest cichlids, A former member on here had his female kill several males and every target fish he placed in the 125 he had her in (if I remember correctly, i haven't spoken with him in a while)

That's what I figured. I was hoping someone had success with a tank mate but didn't really expect it lol. I am fine keeping her by herself.

Unless she could deal with another female Festae...idk though.

Doubtful, their conspecific aggression is high as well. If you try it, have a divider ready and try it when you can devote a few hours to watching them interact lol

Back
Top Bottom