Filter broke, will my oscar be okay for a little?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezzie

Aquarium Advice Activist
While cleaning my oscars filter (as well as a big tank clean) a small clip that attaches two of the pipes for his eheim canister filter broke, which means when I turn the filter on it leaks water.

Needless to say my floor is now soaked and I'm now missing a filter!

It's a single Oscar in a 3ft tank, will he be okay without a filter for a day? I will be buying one tomorrow since its my day off.

His air stone and heater are still working within the tank :)

Grrrrr!!!

Forgot to add when I get the new filter ill add the existing filter media to keep the BB, how frustrating for this to happen now!

Yes he will be fine. When they are shipped they are in a small bag of water, no filter, so a day or so with no filter will not kill him. If any levels spike, just do a water change :)

Good news is that I might be able to just get a New hose so no filter change, but I will see :)

Eheim classic, not sure of the size or model though. The photo looks identical to the one I have..

Attachments

• image-2334413307.jpg
    image-2334413307.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 62
I forgot to ask, is there a maximum life span of a filter until you need to change to a totally new one or could it be used for basically forever?.

His filter is give or take 4 years old and I was already thinking to upgrade his filter to a more powerful unit as he will be getting a tank upgrade in the new year to 6ft.

I forgot to ask, is there a maximum life span of a filter until you need to change to a totally new one or could it be used for basically forever?.

His filter is give or take 4 years old and I was already thinking to upgrade his filter to a more powerful unit as he will be getting a tank upgrade in the new year to 6ft.

As long as it will run and support the tank, your good. Filter pads do need to be replace every month and I leave the filter sponges alone

How much filtration per hour would you reccomend for this tank if I'm going to upgrade eventually?

Also, how are fluval filters? I've seen a few good looking ones but know nothing about them..

Your filters run for a long time. Depending on the filter you will have to buy new sponges. I have AC and never bought a single piece of media for them in four years. I also have a fluval FX5 four three years same media. Depending on the fish you get for your tank that will determine your filtration. I have the fx5 and the AC 110'on my 75 but that's just me paranoid.

Can you put a picture of the part your talking about? You may be right and just need a hose clamp

Well I went to the shop and got a new part and it doesn't fit my hose, the guy at the LFS said I can't replace it since its second hand (and cost me $20 anyway, yikes!)
So tomorrow I'm going to buy a totally new filter, (its one of those situations that pushes you into a direction from the start!) it's time for an upgrade as I want to eventually upgrade his tank to something larger and since I have the money currently, why not!

Ill just replace all the media in the new filter with the stuff from my old, ill be giving my old one to my mum who might use it one day (her words not mine)

Back
Top Bottom