filter maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My canister filters maintenance directions are kind of vague. How and how often should I change media. There are 2 floss, 1 carbon, 1 sponge. Heavily stocked 55 gallon.

You really dont need to replace the filter pads, they hold a lot of beneficial bacteria and if taken out, will result your tank in a mini cycle.

But, you can swish the filter pads or floss in old tank water (from siphoning out in a bucket). By doing that, it saves the bacteria.

tyspot1000 said:
You really dont need to replace the filter pads, they hold a lot of beneficial bacteria and if taken out, will result your tank in a mini cycle.

But, you can swish the filter pads or floss in old tank water (from siphoning out in a bucket). By doing that, it saves the bacteria.

Cool. Some people use carbon and some not? What's up with that?

I only use carbon to remove medications. Otherwise unless your removing tannins from driftwood or odors it's a waste of money in my opinion. Perform weekly water changes, keep the substate clean, perform monthly filter maintenance and your water will be crystal clear.

You may have to clean your filter more often than once a month. I have to clean mine every 2 weeks or my nitrates get out of control... and that's with weekly 50% pwc's...

I have had the same media in my fluvals for over a year and a half now. No need to replace. Just squeeze them to death in a bucket of water removed from your tank, rinse out the canister, clean the impeller, and go with it.

Sweet. That's doable. I just didn't like the idea of being a slave to carbon if it wasn't necessary. Thanks!

I have an Aqueon 55 hob filter... would I get good mechanical filtration by stuffing it with some kind of filter floss material?

Back
Top Bottom