Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCommunityCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 4,203
Filtering 180 gallon cichlid tank

How would you guys recommend filtering that large of a tank? It will be overstocked with Africans. Would you go canister, hobs or both? What about a sump?
__________________

__________________
TheCommunityCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hammond, LA
Posts: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
How would you guys recommend filtering that large of a tank? It will be overstocked with Africans. Would you go canister, hobs or both? What about a sump?
Any of those options would work. I use hob/canister combo on most of my tanks but with an overstocked tank of that size a sump system maybe the way to go. My largest tank now is a 110 so maybe somebody with a tank your size will chime in.
__________________

__________________
cbourg746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Malawimaddness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lawrence Kansas
Posts: 258
I have a 160 and around 40 fish, and I am using 2 cascade 1000 canister filters and two 110 hob's it's overkill but my water stays crystal clear
__________________
Malawimaddness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
I use a sump refugium combo pushing around 2500 gph and a hob filter with just polishing pads. I had canisters and it was doing the job but I wanted more flow. So the cheaper option was the sump.

Once you have one you'll never go back to anything else. Maintenance is a breeze
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Cichlid-dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,560
I would go with a sump and a canister as well.
__________________
Cichlid-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
I agree! if you can do a sump and a canister. Right now I have 2 Ac110's HOB's on my 75 gallon and I'm very happy with them. It's a breeze to change out media etc.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCommunityCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 4,203
Yea I was thinking a sump would be nice, but I do like the hob. Maybe both for a maximum filtration
__________________
TheCommunityCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Malawi Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vernon, NJ
Posts: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
I agree! if you can do a sump and a canister. Right now I have 2 Ac110's HOB's on my 75 gallon and I'm very happy with them. It's a breeze to change out media etc.
No fx5 anymore?


How many fish are you talking when you say overstock?
__________________
Malawi Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCommunityCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 4,203
Don't have a number but I heard it is better to overstock for aggression. For a while it will be under stocked, but if I'm getting filtration I want it permeant
__________________
TheCommunityCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Malawi Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vernon, NJ
Posts: 1,237
Yes it is better, I believe firmly in overstocking mbuna, not so much with peacocks though or tanganyikans.
__________________
Malawi Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi Freak View Post

No fx5 anymore?

How many fish are you talking when you say overstock?
I HATED the fx5!! I love the 2 AC110's and they seem to be doing just fine. Haven't has any issues. The fx5 kept breaking and the company sent me replacement parts twice. I got rid of it.

And over stocked, lol I don't think like you were of I remember correctly you hade ALOT of fish lol.

In my 75 gallon I have right now about 30-35 cichlids.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCommunityCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 4,203
So in a tank greater than twice the size, 70-80? Obviously it would take time to build up to such a large number
__________________
TheCommunityCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
So in a tank greater than twice the size, 70-80? Obviously it would take time to build up to such a large number
I'm very heavily stocked. Way way over the limited. You can do what you want just stock responsibly and you'll be better off
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Sometimes having more or having a lot less doesn't always work out. Convict knows what I'm talking about as he has seen things go very badly in his tank.
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post
Sometimes having more or having a lot less doesn't always work out. Convict knows what I'm talking about as he has seen things go very badly in his tank.
^^^^^^^

Very true. Overstocked, under stocked, the tank is gonna do what it wants to do...

They will eventually hash things out BUT the problem is you may like not like the end results. I lost 20+ fish...
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Malawi Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vernon, NJ
Posts: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post

I'm very heavily stocked. Way way over the limited. You can do what you want just stock responsibly and you'll be better off
Pshhh....you can do more, lol.

I like to go over the limit but its also cause I have a 6' tank, it makes a huge difference when comparing to a 4' since you can do so much with it. Mine does from 4' of rocks to 1' of plants to another 1' of rocks. Each section has its own boss.
__________________
Malawi Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi Freak View Post

Pshhh....you can do more, lol.

I like to go over the limit but its also cause I have a 6' tank, it makes a huge difference when comparing to a 4' since you can do so much with it. Mine does from 4' of rocks to 1' of plants to another 1' of rocks. Each section has its own boss.
The nice things about 6 footers they can get away with a ton more and issues are totally different.
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Sa1nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post
I use a sump refugium combo pushing around 2500 gph and a hob filter with just polishing pads. I had canisters and it was doing the job but I wanted more flow. So the cheaper option was the sump.

Once you have one you'll never go back to anything else. Maintenance is a breeze
I have a 180g and use a sump, canister and a powerhead. You can never have too much filtration...
But even that I find threre are still some debris floating around the tank,..

Would love to see your sump setup Andrew, was thinking about setting up a refugium
__________________
Sa1nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa1nt View Post

I have a 180g and use a sump, canister and a powerhead. You can never have too much filtration...
But even that I find threre are still some debris floating around the tank,..

Would love to see your sump setup Andrew, was thinking about setting up a refugium
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/novemb...alawi-biotope/
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi Freak View Post

Pshhh....you can do more, lol.

I like to go over the limit but its also cause I have a 6' tank, it makes a huge difference when comparing to a 4' since you can do so much with it. Mine does from 4' of rocks to 1' of plants to another 1' of rocks. Each section has its own boss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post

The nice things about 6 footers they can get away with a ton more and issues are totally different.
Ok... Ok... I get it!! I NEED bigger tank. Will one of you call my wife and say your the "cichlid police?"

OP you have a very nice tank for a variety of cichlids.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
180 gallon, cichlid, filter, ich, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.