Filtering 180 gallon cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCommunityCichlid

Aquarium Advice Addict
How would you guys recommend filtering that large of a tank? It will be overstocked with Africans. Would you go canister, hobs or both? What about a sump?

How would you guys recommend filtering that large of a tank? It will be overstocked with Africans. Would you go canister, hobs or both? What about a sump?

Any of those options would work. I use hob/canister combo on most of my tanks but with an overstocked tank of that size a sump system maybe the way to go. My largest tank now is a 110 so maybe somebody with a tank your size will chime in.

I have a 160 and around 40 fish, and I am using 2 cascade 1000 canister filters and two 110 hob's it's overkill but my water stays crystal clear

I use a sump refugium combo pushing around 2500 gph and a hob filter with just polishing pads. I had canisters and it was doing the job but I wanted more flow. So the cheaper option was the sump.

Once you have one you'll never go back to anything else. Maintenance is a breeze

I agree! if you can do a sump and a canister. Right now I have 2 Ac110's HOB's on my 75 gallon and I'm very happy with them. It's a breeze to change out media etc.

Don't have a number but I heard it is better to overstock for aggression. For a while it will be under stocked, but if I'm getting filtration I want it permeant

Yes it is better, I believe firmly in overstocking mbuna, not so much with peacocks though or tanganyikans.

No fx5 anymore?

How many fish are you talking when you say overstock?

I HATED the fx5!! I love the 2 AC110's and they seem to be doing just fine. Haven't has any issues. The fx5 kept breaking and the company sent me replacement parts twice. I got rid of it.

And over stocked, lol I don't think like you were of I remember correctly you hade ALOT of fish lol.

In my 75 gallon I have right now about 30-35 cichlids.

Sometimes having more or having a lot less doesn't always work out. Convict knows what I'm talking about as he has seen things go very badly in his tank.

Sometimes having more or having a lot less doesn't always work out. Convict knows what I'm talking about as he has seen things go very badly in his tank.

^^^^^^^

Very true. Overstocked, under stocked, the tank is gonna do what it wants to do...

They will eventually hash things out BUT the problem is you may like not like the end results. I lost 20+ fish...

I'm very heavily stocked. Way way over the limited. You can do what you want just stock responsibly and you'll be better off

Pshhh....you can do more, lol.

I like to go over the limit but its also cause I have a 6' tank, it makes a huge difference when comparing to a 4' since you can do so much with it. Mine does from 4' of rocks to 1' of plants to another 1' of rocks. Each section has its own boss.

I like to go over the limit but its also cause I have a 6' tank, it makes a huge difference when comparing to a 4' since you can do so much with it. Mine does from 4' of rocks to 1' of plants to another 1' of rocks. Each section has its own boss.

The nice things about 6 footers :) they can get away with a ton more and issues are totally different.

I use a sump refugium combo pushing around 2500 gph and a hob filter with just polishing pads. I had canisters and it was doing the job but I wanted more flow. So the cheaper option was the sump.

Once you have one you'll never go back to anything else. Maintenance is a breeze

I have a 180g and use a sump, canister and a powerhead. You can never have too much filtration...
But even that I find threre are still some debris floating around the tank,..

Would love to see your sump setup Andrew, was thinking about setting up a refugium

The nice things about 6 footers :) they can get away with a ton more and issues are totally different.

Ok... Ok... I get it!! I NEED bigger tank. Will one of you call my wife and say your the "cichlid police?"

OP you have a very nice tank for a variety of cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom