Filtration for 90 Gallon Mbuna Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twestacott

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in the process of upgrading my mbuna tank to 90 gallons. I already have an eheim 2217 cannister which I plan to use for filtration. I am just not sure this filter alone will provide enough flow to turnover the water enough times. Should I add a powerhead or a HOB? Suggestions?

For mbuna you should add filtration. An AC110 would work, or another canister. Either would provide enough water movement so you wouldn't need a power head.

I have a slightly under stocked 90 gallon mbuna tank with an eheim 2217 canister. I use a power head to create more flow towards the intake. I have not had any issues with the filtration but I guess it depends if your tank is overstocked. What is your current stock??

Another Eheim would be good. You're already used to using them. Personally, I love the Rena XP series canister filters. They're incredibly easy to service and have strong flow. The XP3 would be a great option. For a HOB I agree with the person above, the AC110 is the best there is.

Current stock is only about a dozen yellow labs but would probably be looking to overstock slightly as I would like to add a group of yellow tail acei and either a group of salousi or scolofi depending on what I can find locally in good quality.

I bought an emporer 400 off of amazon for 50 bucks and free shipping. I recieved it after just 2 days of ordering, and to be honest it has more room for filter media than my fluval 305 had, and has 400 gph. Its a cheap, but nice alternative.
Aq 110's are also a goood choice.

IMO, ur fine. That filter is rated for 160 gal., which is ~2x ur tank size. It has 265 gph too. U could use a little more but it should be ok to start with. Cichlids will need more so a 2nd may have to be in the near future.

Recommended flow rate is 6 to 10 times the volume of the tank in flow rate, e.g a 90 gallon would require 540 gal/hour minimum. I have a AC 110 and a Emperor 400 in a 55 gal Malawi tank. I also have 2 AC 50 powerheads and an AC 30 powerhead connected to a sponge filter with the output going through undergravel PVC jets. My tank is overstocked with 18 Mbuna.

Back
Top Bottom