Fin nipping.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoor3773

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a lake Malawi set up at home containing a variety of Malawi cichlids. Recently I lost two female aulonocara s then a week later two more fish, a demasoni and dragons blood. After investigation I noticed a much larger zebra was chasing the other fish, and that my frontosa and another aulonocara has had their fins nipped. I removed the zebra but my concern now is will I lose the two injured fish and will their fins grow back??

Spoor3773 said:
I have a lake Malawi set up at home containing a variety of Malawi cichlids. Recently I lost two female aulonocara s then a week later two more fish, a demasoni and dragons blood. After investigation I noticed a much larger zebra was chasing the other fish, and that my frontosa and another aulonocara has had their fins nipped. I removed the zebra but my concern now is will I lose the two injured fish and will their fins grow back??

Fins will grow back. But maybe be as nice as the original! Sorry for all Ur lost. It's Best to rehome that zebra. :(

Cheers. The frontosa seemed ok. But the aulonocara was nt moving much. Fingers crossed he's ok when I get home.

Yes with good water conditions the fins should heal on their own, but some consideration should be made about your stock list. Frontosa and peacocks should not be housed with the hyper aggressive mbuna, frontosa are peaceful and have a hard time competing for food and IMO peacocks will not show their colors when stessed with the mbuna around. What size tank are you working with? For best health, color, and longevity of the tank each speices should be housed separately.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Yes with good water conditions the fins should heal on their own, but some consideration should be made about your stock list. Frontosa and peacocks should not be housed with the hyper aggressive mbuna, frontosa are peaceful and have a hard time competing for food and IMO peacocks will not show their colors when stessed with the mbuna around. What size tank are you working with? For best health, color, and longevity of the tank each speices should be housed separately.

Ok will look into that. I ll palm the mbuna off to my mate. Lol. Are frontosa s and aulonocara ok to keep together? Also what does "IMO" stand for? Cheers.

They are from different lakes in the rift valley and have very similar water conditions but different behaviors and aggression levels, they really do better when housed separately, I feel they are healthier and happier when kept in speices tanks.

IMO stands for in my opinion, if your on your computer then drag your mouse over a word and it will give you a definition.

You never mentioned what size tank they are in? A large tank certainly can help correct stocking issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom