Finally started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlosk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I've been using this site for info and help for the past couple of months. I'm completely new to the aquarium world and I'm loving it so far. I've persevered and completed a fishless cycle and I'm glad I have. Still double checking my water parameters as I'm going along and everything is still looking good. Anyway, I finally got to the local-ish fish shop and picked up the 1st inhabitants of my 180L tank. I had my mind made up and my heart was set on the likes of tetras, bettas, mollies etc.... but when I discussed the options with my local fish store, I quickly realised that my water's pH and hardness was totally unsuitable for these types and we turned our attention to cichlids. I hadn't looked into the possibility of stocking these as I already had my mind made up (or at least I thought I did).

So over to the cichlid section we go, and I immediately love everything about these fish. It may have had a lot for the store keeper's passion for his work and the knowledge he had. I was certainly impressed by the personalities and activity of the cichlids. 5 fish were purchased and added to my tank. The 1st occupants and all is going well 4 days on. I'm keeping a close eye on things and everyone seems to be happy. I need to make a few adjustments to my tank setup now and add more rock/security/hiding places for the cichlids, but that'll happen soon enough. So, being new to the cichlid world, I'm totally confused as to what fish I've actually brought home (even though the store keeper went through it all with me). So I'm going to post the 5 pics to see if anyone can take the weight off my mind. I want to know more about the ones I got and I find it hard to search for info as there are so many cichlids out there.

Anyway, here goes.... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Christmas to you all.... HO HO HO

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 61
  • photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 69
  • photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 65
  • photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 60
Sorry folks..... One more for good luck

Attachments

• photo-6.jpg
    photo-6.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 60
You have a sydontis catfish, the yellow one its hard to tell because he is under the log he or she is either a red zebra or yellow lab leaning towards yellow lab also known as electric yellow, and ob something ob standing for orange blotch sorry couldn't help you with all of them oh and the second picture is some kind of peacock cichlid I know it's common so you shouldn't have any trouble just go online and look at species of peacock cichlids and the 3rd one is either a livingstonii or venestus.

Oh and welcome to the cichlid world you will find that that choice you made I get cichlids will impact you they are amazing my addiction

Thanks for the info... I appreciate it. I have just 5 fish at the min and I'm well aware of the aggression that will take part in a cichlid tank. Although I have no experience of having to handle such issues, it's all a learning curve and a steep one at that. I plan to add 5 more after Xmas as well as add some more rocks/hiding places in the mean time.

Fingers crossed it all goes well :hide:

Back
Top Bottom