Firemouth and Gourami in 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently upgraded to a 29g and the firemouth is loving the new space. He used to hide in his cave I made for him all day, so with the new scape I made about 3-4 caves and a foot long one out of driftwood with that in mind. So far today he's yet to even venture in the caves, and is happily swimming at the top and middle areas of the tank.

With this extra space in mind, would it be ok to put a blue or pearl gourami in there with him?

I'm aware no other cichlid is possible and a female firemouth would be a tight fit. Anything else gets too big or would be harrassed by my firemouth, so this leaves me with the gourami. I found a few old threads online of people keeping them no problems, but I'd like to get a more up to date response.

I had a successful breeding pair of fire mouth in a 29 no issues and a blue gourami but yes a blue gourami with your fire mouth would be fine

Interesting. How long did you keep the breeding pair in your 29 for? I was told a 29 would be too small or not to try a female with my male.

A few months and they did fine I just made sure to have hiding spot for him once the eggs hatched she wouldn't let him near them but left him alone for most part

Back
Top Bottom