Firemouth breeding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phillyb32

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got 2 fire mouths at the shop. And one got nipped right away, but recently the nipped fish has recovered, and it seems like they have paired off.
Is there a trick to spotting a female?

Sexing Firemouths is very difficult. If you have a pair you will see a difference in body shape. Females will be deeper bodied ( sort of egg shaped) Males will be more elongated. Adult males will get streamers and most times but not always will have darker black lines on the dorsal and anal fin. Color is not the best indicator. I have a breeding pair and it was hard to tell until the had babies which was which now I can tell no problem. If you want to post pics I can try and help. They will need to be at least 3".

Also them hanging out together isn't a sign of pairing. Mine act like they are getting divorced every time they breed. The male acts like he really hates her and they stay at opposite sides of the tank until it is time to do the deed.

This comment give me a little hope for a pair. 2 of mine tend to leave eachother alone until they are fighting. but they will both kinda pair together to pick on my 0ther 2.

Back
Top Bottom