Firemouth Cichlid ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am getting a new tank not sure on all size's etc but I think it will be approximately 15 gallons could I house a pair of firemouths in here. I have been informed yes buy other people and the lfs, but internet says 20 gallons. Do you think it would be ok with sufficient filtration?

I'm sure you can handle that Steven. I very seldom see them over 4 inches, so one pair in a 15g should make a great tank.

Thank you for such a quick response BrianNY. I would love to give them a go at breeding.

It will probably work, but they would be happier in a little bigger tank than a 15G. If you are still deciding, I'd go with like a 20G or 30G, cost shouldn't be too much more, and then you can add some tank cleaners like ottos and some dither fish to go with them, to make them feel a little more secure.

Look for combo specials as well, could get a bigger tank with hood and stand and filter for less than buying the smaller one a piece at a time individually.

i have to agree with lonewolfblue the firemonths reach 5-6inches i would get a 30 gallon for a pair just my 2 cents. cichlidman

If it were me, I'd still go a little bigger. 30G would be bare minimum for me, even though I know someone that uses a 20G. And it's just for a pair, and he has no clean-up crew, just himself.

I knew that's what you meant. :) What I mean by bigger is like a 55G, 30G would be bare minimum. They need real estate. I got my 55G from a friend, and the stand from Walmart. You can get the 55G with hood, filter, and stand for under 250.00 at Walmart.

I think it would probably work too.
My concern would be aggression if the pair doesn't get along.

Funny thing about cichlids is you never know what will work until you try it. I would just have a plan B in place in case things get ugly.

:) Of course the bigger the tank, the better off are the fish applies to all cichlids. Steven is becomming an experienced aquarist. He's keeping discus and understands how frequent water changes benefit the environment. IME with firemouths I consider 4 inches to be monsters. They've very unique personalities and often do very well in pairs.

At a recent GCAS meeting a talk was given by a NYC elementary school teacher hwo used aquariums to teach everything from geography to science. He split the kids up into teams responsible for their own 10g tanks. Each tank contained a different species and one of those 10g tanks contained a pair of firemouths. The firemouths were the first to spawn. No problem at all keeping a single pair in 15g. :wink:

Thank you for the encourgement BrianNY. I recieved a new magazine regarding tropical fish today and the main topic was the 'Cryptoheros'. The article talks about them in general and inside the article it is stated that a 24 x 12 x 12 inch aquarium would be suitable for a pair to be kept in a by an experienced aquarist. Some exmaples of the Cryptoheros given in the article were: Convict Cichlid and the sajica cichlid.
First of all is the firemouth cichlid a 'cryptoheros'? And which one should I get?
All three of these types are available to me at my lfs, all at approximatly the same price. Convicts Cheaper lol. I mainly want them have good characteristics like my discus who wait for me every morning at feeding time and get excited when the lit is opened lol. I also wnat the fish to breed quite easily. I am having withdrawn systems as I have not had any fry for a number of weeks. I am also looking for an attractive fish.

So what would you suggest for me to buy?

The firemouth is Thorichthys meeki, and the convict is Cryptoheros nigrofasciatus. The C. sajica is a T-bar cichlid, I think, though I might be wrong.

At least here in the States the convict is so commonly kept and so easy to breed that you have trouble getting rid of the juveniles you wind up with, so look into the potential ability to sell your little ones when making your selection. I believe it will come down to which fish you find most attractive, since their behaviors are going to be similar. I prefer the firemouth in terms of color and beauty, but that's just me! :D

I'm with Tankgirl here as well. Firemouths have better personalities than convicts. They can get very aggressive but a suited pair are terrific to watch.

How would I obtain a breeding pair of firemouths?

My lfs has 4 adults I am still unaware of how to sex them.

Buy a male and female. The males have longer, more pointed fins. Then just let nature take its course

I had to separate my male and female. The female was always hiding and not eating. Everytime she came out of hiding the male chased her all over the tank. They got along fine for months too before that started happening. So keep a close eye cause they can be picky buggers when choosing their mate. She wasn't having him if he was the last firemouth on earth, or the only one in the tank :mrgreen:

Unless of course the store and I sexed them wrong which has been known to happen a time or two or 100 8O

Back
Top Bottom