Firemouth Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For the past month or so I've been absolutely obsessed with these fish! Today my lfs had some available and I wanted so badly to buy at least one, but I don't think they would mesh very well in either of my tanks. It would most likely go in my 75 as that offers the most space for a fish that'll grow to be 6-8" (that's what seems to be the average adult size from what I've read). I know that they can get extremely territorial when spawning, but are they ok in a community when kept alone? Some of the articles I've read so far say they're not good in a community tank, but a few have said they can be excellent. I'm torn! I really want to give it a shot, but not if it'll be a disaster for my other fish. What do you think?

mine is very peaceful to any fish that does not look like a cichlid. He doesn't mind the rainbows, or any of the loaches, but he does not like cories or other cichlids. He is about 5" long right now

img_793454_0_cee6cdb47f97d845c1f16c01ba1496e8.jpg

He is actually flaring up at me in this picture. he didn't like the flash :D

Firemouths are alot like angelfish in terms of temperament. They generally work well in community tanks unless they are courting mates or protecting fry. Of course, there are exceptions, and I was one of those unlucky few. I had a firemouth that terrorized most of the other fish in my 58 gal. I'm told that this is not usually the case.

Most of your fish are either too fast (tetras and barbs) or too tough (plecos) to be bothered much by the firemouth. My only concern (and probably your greatest) would be the gouramis. I have no idea how a typical firemouth would react toward gouramis. If you put a firemouth in your 46 gal, would you be able to move the pearl gourami to the 75 gal if things got ugly?

First of all, I'm sorry I posted this in the wrong forum initially. I always forget about the Cichlid Forum! :oops:

Second of all, thank you both for the responses. QTOFFER, I could move the Pearl Gourami, but I think it may be a little tricky at first because the Gouramis in my 75 are just about full grown (maybe a little more growing left to do), but the Pearl in my 46 is still a little guy (or girl, still to small to tell). I wouldn't want the poor thing to get picked on by the adults in my 75.

To be perfectly honest with you, the Gouramis didn't even cross my mind as being an issue! Since they spend most of their time at the top of the tank I was more worried about the Bolivian Rams who are almost always at the bottom. The Rams in my 75 are on the small side, probably about 2" and the ones in my 46 are about 3-4".

The 46 is currently being kept at my office where I work. I may be able to bring it home with me in a few months as we're moving to a new building. I just have to talk to the owner and see if I can buy it off of him. If I am able to bring it home, it would make this a lot easier to figure out.

If it were my tank, this would not be something I would try. I keep a firemouth in a 55 with some aggressive cichlids and loaches, and this is the only combination that has worked for me. My firemouth has killed lots of fish in the past, including larger species of tetras, tiger barbs, black ruby barbs, and even a pleco! Clearly I've gotten a fish that is more aggressive than most, but it just seems to risky to me, and I think your gourami and Bolivians will be in serious trouble. JMO.

Thanks for the replies. As much as I REALLY want to give them a shot, I've decided to wait until I have a clear opening in one of my tanks. I'm hoping that I'll be bringing the 46 gallon home within the next few months (still haven't mentioned it to the owner of our company). Maybe I can 're-arrange' some fish at that point to make room. We'll see what happens... :)

Would a pair of Firemouths be happy in a 46 gallon tank? Seems so small for such a big fish (even though they don't get huge I know).

oh yea, they will be fine. So long as it is just them. I kept my firemouth in a 30g for a few weeks by himself, and he did just fine.

Back
Top Bottom