firemouth is eating my Oscar eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

you&me

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had 4 Red Oscar and 2 firemouth they was doing o,k for litte
one day I saw one of my Oscar died there is no eyes on that oscar
few days died agan with no eyes

any body know why this is happening?

maybe the oscar died and they ate the eyes after. is a possibbiliy.

both fish are agressive and i think the firemouthes are faster than the oscars... i havent had either though but its my perception

I dont think firemouth will attack the Oscar.

It could be just some how your Oscar died and the firemouth ate the eyes.

So two of your Oscars died within few days?

Its the tank cycled?

First I had them in 55g then I move them because that tank is brand new
so I put them in 30g tank they are only 2-3" long and all 4 Oscar Died with no eyes in them.

I have never kept Oscars myself but I read that poor water conditions will rot the Orcars eyes out.

Normally the eye losing incident is due to fight between the fish.

IMHO the dead oscar is been beaten up by the fire mouth 1st, subsequantly once the fish is injured the other oscar and fire mouth will start to pick on the injured fish.
That's law of nature where only the strongest live.

What you can do is add some shelters such as few 4-6" long pvc pipe in the tank as shelter for the fish.

HTH

you&me said:
First I had them in 55g then I move them because that tank is brand new.

Well, if that tank is brand new and is still cycling, they may have got poisoned from the ammonia and died after you moved them due to stress and ammonia. Just a thought...

30g tank is too small for 4 oscars and 2 firemouth.

A 55g is considered a minimum size for just ONE oscar, for 2 oscars I would not recommend anything less than a 75g. Other people I know would say only 1 oscar to 75g....

Can you see where I'm heading with this?

If you want to try keeping the above fish together again you need a huge tank with excellent filtration as oscars are messy eaters. I know all your fish were small but they need space to develop their territories and thats where things went wrong.

HTH

I know I had my other Os for 1year and i sold them
They was too big and they were 9" ( Red Os, Tiger Os) and they were liplocking every day so i sold them and Got me a litte Os

The Old 55g that I had it before they are now saltwater tank and three more 55g I use 2 New 55g as of salter and the last one I was using for freshwater.

were All Os are death and Only one firemouth so I dont know any more

It seems like All my fish are dieing saltwater freshwater both :evil:

Well I dont know much about SW tank stocking but if you are doing the same as you are with your FW (overstocking and too quickly) then that is the reason fish are dying.

Back
Top Bottom