first cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_1_6

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hi there, i finally got my 65 gallon tank running normaly and my fish healthy, and my goal was to get that tank running healthy, and then get a 55 gallon african tank. any tips on getting it started? i have a yellow lab about an inch long, but thats a whole other story. i would like to have some yellow labs, if i can how many, male per females? any catfish that i can put in with them. lastly,what other africans do you suggest? thanks.

in a 55g, I would suggest keeping 1 male and 3-4 females. I would suggest fish like rustys, labs, zebras, acei, and hongi. You want to avoid the more aggressive fish like auratus and kenyi in such a small tank. Make sure to provide lots of rocks so that each fish has a couple different places to claim their own territory.

I agree. As for catfish. Synodontis cats go well with Africans. They originate from the rift lakes.

allright thanks, and what about a red tailed shark, i have seen them with africans. also could i buy rocks from a hardware or landscaping store?

Red Tailed Sharks probably don't like the high pH of an African tank, but you might be able to acclimate it to that pH, especially if your pH in the 65g is higher. In that case, it might work.

You can use rocks for a hardware or landscaping store...just rinse them really well before you put them in the tank.

I bought 300lbs. of holey rock at a local landscape supply for $62.00 which at a lfs would have cost a small forture at $5.99 a pound.

yes same at my lfs. and allright, i will most likely get a red tailed shark in there, and if he isnt doing well i will set up my 29 gal while i look for a home for him. i like the sand substrate, i looked up a tank on youtube and he used sand for salt water tanks and its really nice, would that work in the tank?

I tried the red tail shark in my tank...even bought a larger shark than my other fish at the time but he really did not have the temperament to survive with those fish so he's currently happy living with my gouramis.

I use Tahitian Moon sand for my substrate but my Aqua Pro sump is layered with argonite to maintain my ph.

allright here are my plans:
4 yellow labs, 1 male, 3 female
4 electric blue haps, 1 male, 3 female
4 white labs, 1 male 3 female
4 yellow tailed acei 1 male, 3 female

will these fish be fine with eachother? is this over stocked?

The haps will get too big for a 55g. I would stick with mbuna. Also, I've never heard of a white lab, but if this is an albino, I'd caution against it. I would avoid any other fish in the labidochromis sp. If you're looking for a whitish colored fish, go with albino zebras or greshakei

allright i just checked out some greshakei on google and i really like them. what other cichlids have other colours other than blue and yellow?

ok i found a site that said for beginers to have:
yellow lab, 1 male 3-4 female
Pseudotropheus Saulosi, 1 male 3-4 female
Pseudotropheus Acei, 1 male 3-4 female

would this be ok in my tank? could i maybe add some greshakei?

You really shouldn't go with more than 12 fish, maybe a couple more labs, but definitely not 16. The acei will get bigger than any of the other fish, some people dont even suggest them for antyhing smaller than a 6' tank (though I think they'll be fine). I'd decide on the 3 fish you want, then get 1 male and 3 females of each

allright thanks, i will have to go to my lfs and see if they have these fish fish, hopfully. and i will probably stick with about 12.

I wouldn't put Yellow Labs and P. saulosi together. Female saulosi are yellow and your Yellow Lab males may try to breed with them. Rules of thumb for Mbuna tanks....no 2 fish of the same genus...and no 2 types of fish that look similar. :) You could substitute Greshakei for the Labs or the Saulosi. Or try to find some Rusty Cichlids.

You should be fine with that, I'm sure you will provide plenty of rock work.

Monitor your nitrate (NO3) levels if you find they are rising quickly you will need to do pwcs more often or larger volumes.

Back
Top Bottom