first cichlid tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbhariz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am re-setting my 50 gallon tank as for perameters its a tall tank 12 inches in width 30 inches long and 24 inches tall I believe I have a couple of plants half plastic half real I do have some drift wood and I have plenty of rocks and hiding space all I need is to know which cichlids are suitable for this kind of enviornment I was thinking along the lines of cichlids from milawi I just need to know suggestions on which ones I can get and how much i can get and are they compatable with rainbow sharks pictus catfish and clown loaches and pleco catfish and as for pH I get about 7.6-7.8 straight out of the tap water and I'm not sure about the hardness so I really need advice on what I just mentioned here any advise will be much appreciated

Andrew McFadden said:
If you want Africans you'll need to look into shell dwellers for that size tank.

+1 you'll have major issues if you put malawis in that tank! I second the shellies. Its not always the size of the tank, its the footprint that counts most

What can I do then to improve my tank and make it livable for them and sorry for replying so late I'm awfully busy

You can do almost anything that stays under 4" but closer to 3" would be preferred. Like this
Caudopunctatus Cichlid (Neolamprologus caudopunctatus)
Jeweled Goby Cichlid (Tanganicodus irsacae)

What I always do is look around online to build a list of what I want and what I can get. Those are available at WWW.liveaquaria.com

I love my shellies and a 50 gallon could support an extremely large colony of them! You wouldn't have much movement, but the social behavior is second to none

Back
Top Bottom