First ever african cichlid tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is what I'd like the tank to look like, maybe minus some plants and minus the bad artwork :p anyway... I might arrange the rocks differently. But I think I am going to take out the under gravel filters and use a sand substrate. That is if my penguin bio wheel 350 would be good enough for that stock. What do you think?

Attachments

• image-2439102285.jpg
    image-2439102285.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 100
This is what I'd like the tank to look like, maybe minus some plants and minus the bad artwork :p anyway... I might arrange the rocks differently. But I think I am going to take out the under gravel filters and use a sand substrate. That is if my penguin bio wheel 350 would be good enough for that stock. What do you think?

I got 3 different Cory + cichlids they don't get bullied at all they are bottom tank dwellers it looks cool u need some plants my cichlids like grasses like plants to swim throw & nibble on them

I kinda like the bare sand... I might add some fake plants though. I don't want to do live plants because they need so much light and if I have to adjust the lighting for the fish I dont want to have to worry about plants. Plus they will probably uproot or eat them... But I do like the way they look. Can you post a picture of your tank?

Thanks yours looks really nice :) what kind of cichlids do you have?

Mostly convicts /2 yellow labs / 2 orange ones /1 dark blue

Cool :) I was thinking about getig a common Pleco, but I'm not sure if they get too big or if they would be ok with the cichlids I want to get... Anyone have experience with that?

Id be careful with the Cory cats. When I first got Africans I had 3 Cory's on the tank already. They were fine for about a month and then one day shredded

This is my new setup!

Attachments

• image-190168529.jpg
    image-190168529.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 121
I agree go sand even tho I have blue rocks I hate them but my wife likes them so it makes her happy

yellow labs are nice fish bit be warned they mate like crazy I have 30 fry a month and you can't sell them or give them.away

I breed yellow labs and sell every last one of them... Not sure why you would say you cant sell them.

Cool :) I was thinking about getig a common Pleco, but I'm not sure if they get too big or if they would be ok with the cichlids I want to get... Anyone have experience with that?

I think commons are to big but not a 100% sure though .. you could get bristlenose plecos or maybe some smaller synodontis catfish instead of the corys mentioned above that shouldnt be mixed with africans for many reason .

I would skip the bumblebees personally bc they get like 8in and i wouldnt do anything larger then 5in number wise i would say around 15(being medium stocked ) -20 (being overstocked) depending on filtration, water quality and size of your fish ..

Edit: commons are definately too big for your tank they get up to 24in. Unless you have or plan to have a much bigger tank i would skip them

I have 3 black plecos not sure which specie they are they get along fine with my cichlids they are on the glass most of the time I love seethe there belly u just want to tickle it when looking in the shop just think to your self it smaller than the cichlids mouth it probley will get eaten so get one that's bigger & it grow & be safe

I think commons are to big but not a 100% sure though .. you could get bristlenose plecos or maybe some smaller synodontis catfish instead of the corys mentioned above that shouldnt be mixed with africans for many reason .

I would skip the bumblebees personally bc they get like 8in and i wouldnt do anything larger then 5in number wise i would say around 15(being medium stocked ) -20 (being overstocked) depending on filtration, water quality and size of your fish ..

Edit: commons are definately too big for your tank they get up to 24in. Unless you have or plan to have a much bigger tank i would skip them

Ok. I have a penguin bio wheel 350 I'm using for this tank. Supposed to be good for a 70 gallon tank. I like bristle nose plecos! Maybe I'll get one of those :) aw. No bumblebees? :( other than the size, is there any other reason I shouldnt get them? Are they more aggressive?

X5 yellow lab cichlids (labidochromis caeruleus)
X3 bumble bees (metriaclima ) crabo)
X5 peacocks not sure what kind ( aulonocara...)
X5 electric blue ( sciaenochromis fryeri)
X5 pseudotropheus saulosi
X1 bottom feeder? What would you recommend?

Do any of these sound like they won't do well together?

Back
Top Bottom