First ever african cichlid tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gallon I am going to turn into a rocky African cichlid tank throughout the next few months or so... It's cycled and right now has my betta in it (who is VERY happy to have a whole 55 all to himself! :)) so I'm just gonna post here about what I'm doing as I do it. :) if you have African cichlids, I'd love to see pics of your fish and setups! :D here's a pic of the tank. Its the one on the top. The little rocks arent going to stay though. (yeah it's pretty empty at the moment, but I hope to get some rocks and fake plants soon!)

Attachments

• image-272640048.jpg
    image-272640048.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 333
Looks like a fish tank to me! Lucky little betta haha. Good luck, and keep up posted. What's your stocking ideas?

Not 100% sure yet. :) yellow labs, maybe some German red peacocks or another kind of peacock... And something that's blue. lol. I'm still deciding. I'm going to decorate the whole thing first. I would change the substrate to sand, but I have under gravel filters and I'm not sure that would work with sand.

Your tank looks great I was thinking of adding some colour gravel do what colour do u like I was thinking of red or blue

Your tank looks great I was thinking of adding some colour gravel do what colour do u like I was thinking of red or blue

I'd go with sand. I started gravel but as I got more into I wanted sand and regret it. Also poop gets shifted down it and really more work having to vacuum it

My simple african setup

Attachments

• image-2042459152.jpg
    image-2042459152.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 286

I agree go sand even tho I have blue rocks I hate them but my wife likes them so it makes her happy

yellow labs are nice fish bit be warned they mate like crazy I have 30 fry a month and you can't sell them or give them.away

I never seen that before how do I know if mine is male or female? I hoping only the female will carry the young ones

Here is a pic of my 75g. I'm really wanting to do rescape just not sure on how I want to make it look

image-1002330774.jpg

And if you are wanting blue you can't get much bluer then with a big male ahli

image-3988360161.jpg

I think it looks good your blue fish is lovely I got a little blue fish already

Wow your tanks are awesome! Love the rocks and driftwood in that one :D I think this will be my stock... Or something like it...
X5 yellow lab cichlids (labidochromis caeruleus)
X3 bumble bees (metriaclima ) crabo)
X5 peacocks not sure what kind ( aulonocara...)
X5 electric blue ( sciaenochromis fryeri)
X5 pseudotropheus saulosi
X1 bottom feeder? What would you recommend?

Think that's too much? I've heard that its good to "overstock" a cichlid tank

Wow your tanks are awesome! Love the rocks and driftwood in that one :D I think this will be my stock... Or something like it...
X5 yellow lab cichlids (labidochromis caeruleus)
X3 bumble bees (metriaclima ) crabo)
X5 peacocks not sure what kind ( aulonocara...)
X5 electric blue ( sciaenochromis fryeri)
X5 pseudotropheus saulosi
X1 bottom feeder? What would you recommend?

Think that's too much? I've heard that its good to "overstock" a cichlid tank

They sound great I got a yellow lab myself he got loads of attitude I got a couple of plecos to keep algae away & a few Cory cat fish more cleaners I would love a blood parrot fish they are great colours but get a bit big for me as long as your tank is bigger enough that amount should be ok there some great videos on YouTube of parrot fish u should give it a look

It's a 55 gallon. No parrot fish for me... on my opinion they get too big.

Back
Top Bottom