First Rescue! Foggy Eye..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just rescued this sunshine from a local buddy and I noticed his eyes are a little foggy, he's super timid, but I noticed the guy was handling him with his hands alot, could it be the reason..? Help me out guys this is my first rescue!

Attachments

• image-685071560.jpg
    image-685071560.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 106
Cloudy eyes can be caused by a number of things. The most common is poor water conditions. Pristine water conditions are needed.
Cloudy Eye
Pathogen/Cause: Various organisms (nonspecific), Severe Stress, Malnutrition, Cataracts, Old Age, Hyperproduction of slime due to poisoning, bad water quality, or irritation.
Physical Signs: A cloudy white or grey "haze" over the eyes that may cause blindness.
Behavioral Signs: Associated with loss of vision, also just general signs of lethargy.
Potential Treatment: Investigate if water quality is high first (water changes), then if nutritional needs of that species are being met. Wait at least a week or two before trying any antibiotics, it will often clear on its own if water quality is high.
Other Notes: Frequent water changes a must to improve quality. Test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. Cloudy eye is a sign of a number of things, rather than a disease in its own right.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#ERM

If its just from poor water then it could take a number of months. Depend how much damage was done. They many never clear completely. Keep an eye out for bullying and if they get worse then medication may be needed.

If its just from poor water then it could take a number of months. Depend how much damage was done. They many never clear completely. Keep an eye out for bullying and if they get worse then medication may be needed.

i will, its a 29 g tank with just the two peacocks and a cray in it, my blue is really cool, hes not a bully and with the sunshine now in the tank, theyre getting along fine, ill keep you guys updated, if my water is perfect will it clear..?

Handling fish with your hands quite often is less stressful than using a net. When I transfer fish from a bag to my tank, I generally use my hands rather than a net (unless they are small or hard to hold onto, eg chili rasboras or kuhli loaches)

Ok guys so he's not getting any better, he's been pretty much parked in the same spot facing the wall for hours on end now, he won't eat, and his eyes aren't any clearer, what do I do? I don't wanna lose him!

Do you have a quarantine? If not then turn the main tank lights off. If he can't see he could be freaked by the new tank and inhabitants. Assuming its nothing more serious. Are the eyes just cloudy or are there any flecks or odd shapes in them?

Do you have a quarantine? If not then turn the main tank lights off. If he can't see he could be freaked by the new tank and inhabitants. Assuming its nothing more serious. Are the eyes just cloudy or are there any flecks or odd shapes in them?

Just cloudy as heck, I hope he pulls through guys,

Is it possible to try to put food right near him without the other fish getting it? He won't starve to death in a few days but you still need to figure out why he's not going for it. If he's still lethargic tomorrow I would look into antibiotics incase it is a bacterial infection. You will need a quarantine tank for that.

Well guys this is him as of now, I don't think he's gonna make it, he's just been in the corner all day, I can move him with my hands and he makes no effort to get away from me. I'm pretty sad now :(

Attachments

• image-4214481115.jpg
    image-4214481115.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 68
I'm sorry about that... you should try a last effort and go to petsmart or a local pet store and look through their meds and see if you can find anything

I'm sorry about that... you should try a last effort and go to petsmart or a local pet store and look through their meds and see if you can find anything

I would but I think he's on the back 9 already, he's almost non responsive and he won't even swim away from anything he just hovers well now he's just staring at nothing again after I moved him he facing the back of the tank.

sorry, I just went through this too, it sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom