Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fish compatibility

Hello. I have a 45 gallon tank tank with 2 clown loaches, 5 cardinal tetras, 2 swordtails, 2 corys, 6 zebra danios, 2 pearl gouramis and 2 gold gouramis and all fish are compatible. None have reached adult size and will move to a larger tank later. I would like to add 1-2 yellow cichlids, 1-2 angels and a severum. Any advice on compatibility to my existing fishes? Thanks.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd skip the cichlids and severum - they will eat your cardinals, probably. Why do you say 1-2 of each fish? Most all fish are much happier with others of their own kind, so get at least a pair. Get two or three small angelfish; they are less likely to be nippy if they have each other.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

you should also have more swordtails and coydoras if you can
Old 03-12-2020, 12:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll leave the cichlid questions to the cichlid experts on here but the Cories should definitely be in a group of 6 not just 2
Old 03-12-2020, 03:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Clown Loaches get huge. Angelfish will eat anything small enough to fit in their mouths, and they reach about 6". Severum, I don't know much about, but they get fair sized as well, and they're mean, aggressive predatory mean. The yellow ones, I'm assuming you're talking about Yellow Labs? They're Mbuna, but they'll also eat insect larva and crustations, so I'd assume that they'd eat anything that they can catch. Mbuna are hard water fish, everything else on your list is more soft water. I'd recommend smaller cichlids instead, like Rams, Apistogramma, or Kribensis with your current stock. They tend to stick to the bottom, and only get about 4"-6", the male Kribensis being the largest of them.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Noted. Thanks.

Loaches will be moved out once they get too big.

Tags
compatibility, fish, fish compatibility

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com