Fish fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(I'm only speaking from my experience with mbuna's).

Typically, no, but the possibility exists.

Lip-locking is a way they test each other's strength and is used to determine dominance between two fish that are near-equals in that regard.

In rare instances, injuries can occur from this activity:

The most fierce lip-locking bout I've ever witnessed in my tank was between the alpha-male of the tank (a full grown 4" pseudotropheus demasoni) and a maturing male red zebra of equivalent size. The demasoni ruled the tank because it was fully matured and all of my other mbuna's were acquired as 2" juvies.

But when the red zebra approached 4" it decided it would try to take over and challenged the demasoni in an intense lip locking bout, sometimes breaking off to fight and then re-engaging. They eventually took the battle inside a hollow artificial rock decoration (the demasoni's key territory) where the fight continued for some minutes.

The demasoni then bolted out of the hollow cave, pursued by the red zebra which had its lips about ripped off! :eek: Despite its lip injuries (which eventually completely healed), the red zebra chased the (apparently unscathed) demasoni for while and took over as alpha fish. I had never seen lip injuries like that before or since (this occured in 2005)...and he was the victor.

I had a male gbr that lip locked with another male and had his lip ripped off witch lead to mouth fungas.fixed that an than lead to hole in the head.were I have seen it in others and they end up ok so it can go either way

Thanks. Yeah I just have a couple smaller, 2 in or bigger, jewels that got a little rough for a few hours. I am convinced they are two males. I was just getting worried, didn't want them to hurt each other. Also another question, you say their wounds healed, does that also go for fins? Will nipped fins grow back?

Ryanlr88 said:
Thanks. Yeah I just have a couple smaller, 2 in or bigger, jewels that got a little rough for a few hours. I am convinced they are two males. I was just getting worried, didn't want them to hurt each other. Also another question, you say their wounds healed, does that also go for fins? Will nipped fins grow back?

I have not seen it but all the books I have read and the story's on here I think they will but someone else might be able to help.I would say u would have to medicate the injury,I used meds to heal my gbr

Yes the nipped fins will grow back and you don't have to medicate. I try to avoid adding any chemicals and medications unless absolutely necessary. As long as he has hiding places and can take cover, you don't need to do anything else for it. It will heal and the fins will look perfect in time.

One other thing, to help in the healing and to prevent infections make sure your water stays perfect.......I would increase water changes for a couple weeks.

Ryanlr88 said:

I have a full grown male aratus, about 4 inches! He had his entire tail nipped off, leaving nothing but a stub! Over time it grew back fully! He's good as new, with a mean streak, with a fully blossomed tail!so yeah the fins will grow back!

Back
Top Bottom