Fish ID help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccp2007

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought these guys from P..Co when I spotted them when I was buying plants. They had them labeled as turquoise jewels. I know for sure that they aren't jewels. They look EBJD to me, what do y'all think?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1403563624162.jpg
    1403563624162.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 1403563688766.jpg
    1403563688766.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 143
  • 1403563705452.jpg
    1403563705452.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 1403563729470.jpg
    1403563729470.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 147
Yeah, they're EBJD. However, seeing as they were from a big box store, don't expect them to survive very long. EBJD are very fragile genetically, and unless they're bred properly, the survival rate is pretty low. I know a few people who have been keeping cichlids for 20-30+ years and have had little success with them, not to say that people don't. I wish you all the luck with these little guys, and hopefully you can get them past that fabled 3" mark :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have heard they are sensitive. I love a challenge :sly: I'm hoping I can grow them out...I would be stoked!

Just curious how much you paid? They are pretty expensive when labeled properly

They were labeled as turquoise jewels. I paid $5.99 each. My LFS sales them for $38.99 each or $34.99...can't remember which one but I was just looking at them at my LFS right before we went to P..Co

Holy! Great deal for you! You should almost buy another couple and you may end up with a good one and could sell off the ones that you dot want to keep if thy survive!

I bought the last one on Sunday so I have 3. I got 1 to eat from my hand last night. The other 2 wanted to but couldn't get past their shyness lol. So far everything seems to be good with them. They're eating well and acting ok...just a little shy.

Someone on CCA and MFK said they don't look like EBJD, they said they look like the platinum JD. I can't be for sure because they resemble both when I look at google pics of them

Sweet fish and sweeet deal! I really hope they grow out for you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Either way you look at both fish are pretty and you got a great deal. I took wish you luck with raising them!

To be honest, I was leaning towards platinum jds, the color is a bit off for ebjds. I'd be shocked to learn they're platinums though, that'd be an awfully costly mixup for them. Nice steal if they are

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I bought these guys from P..Co when I spotted them when I was buying plants. They had them labeled as turquoise jewels. I know for sure that they aren't jewels. They look EBJD to me, what do y'all think?

Those look identical to the ones my local Petco has and is labeled as a Turquoise Jewel. Off topic and random sorry lol

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is true that they're hard to raise, but at the price you paid it's worth a shot. I bought a small one, just under 2" for £19 (nearly $30), it lasted about 3 months and grew to just under 3" and died inexplicably. I immediately went out and bought one approaching 5" for £35 (approaching $60), because you hardly see them that size for sale and i actually thought it wad a good price for the size of it. That was about 9 months ago and it's still going strong and is possibly my favourite fish. They really are stunning when they're bigger.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The tank broke out in Ich. I lost one EBJD and a BN pleco. I ended up taking them all back to Petco. Luckily they were in my hospital tank...kick to the stomach but I tried. I did salt and raised temp. I doubt the other 2 would have made it through the day. They were just laying in a corner.

Typical for low quality ebjds unfortunately. Good breeding and luck seem to be the main factors in these surviving

Back
Top Bottom