Fish ID please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammbaxter

Aquarium Advice Regular
My cousin just bought a cichlid and she thinks it's a Kenyi and I thought it might be a bumble bee but we're not so sure, so help would be appreciated! :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408746523.665277.jpg

Thanks so much! Question though, how can you tell it's a female?

That's not a kenyi not even a mbuna. Female kenyi are blue and males turn yellow with maturity

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's not a kenyi not even a mbuna. Female kenyi are blue and males turn yellow with maturity

Op this is correct. I'm not sure what that is tho. May be a hybrid.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks more like a female Victorian of some sort based on the head and body shape, plus the coloring

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Not a Kenyi, looks more like some type of hap?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

She bought it from Walmart not knowing what a cichlid was and she had it along with a livingstonii in a ten gallon until this guy killed the livingstonii. So she went out and bought a much bigger tank this week to suit the little guys needs. But if it is a hybrid it wouldn't surprise me since it's from Walmart.... But she wants to add more fish to the tank in the future so what might you guys recommend? Other haps or mbunas?

It's actually nothing that anyone has said yet. It is from lake Kyoga by the name of Astatotilapia latifasciata. By the looks of it I'd say it's a female.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408818550.001862.jpg here's another picture...it's kind of pixelated but the coloring shows a little better.

It's still a juvenile, maybe only 2 inches. And that article seems about right. The anal fin is turning a yellow golden color at the moment just like in the photos.

I agree with Andrew I've seen this fish before can't think of its name. It should get pretty colorful if it's a male

It's still a juvenile, maybe only 2 inches. And that article seems about right. The anal fin is turning a yellow golden color at the moment just like in the photos.

It will need to grow at least another half inch to really know for sure if it's male or female

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Awesome, thanks guys. If she were to add more stock to the tank, what would you guys recommend?

Back
Top Bottom