Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 625
...Fish Identification...

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(2).JPG
Views:	168
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	37704

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(3).JPG
Views:	165
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	37705

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(4).JPG
Views:	152
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	37706 I know this is a blood parrot i just had a question about him, i thought they were supposed to turn orange, but ive had him for almost 5 months now and no change, looks like hes got the color under him but its not really shinning through...
__________________

__________________
OsciTheOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
member

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 42.2411N/88.3161W
Posts: 6,932
Orange Blotch and German Red peacocks.

They really don't mix well so the parrot color may reflect his stress level.
__________________

__________________
HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 625
this parrot was one of my original fish, and the cichlids came after... ive never seen him any other colors other than brown, and pale skin color with a horizontal black stripe...
__________________
OsciTheOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
HN1's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ga
Posts: 8,169
Just a color variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
Orange Blotch and German Red peacocks.

They really don't mix well so the parrot color may reflect his stress level.
Understatement. The peacocks are African cichlids, the BP is a SA hybrid. They need different tank conditions and shouldn't really be kept together.
__________________
Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 625
i realize this, as hukit and i spoke about this in my other thread about my Tiger Oscar... im new to all these things, and now im a slight bit more educated on all this...

im planning on getting another 55 gal. tank in the near future, i just need to get my vehicle fixed up and inspected first... no vehicle, no job, no job, no anything...

so when all is said and done ill have a SA cichlid tank and an African cichlid tank...
__________________
OsciTheOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 625
and are we sure its an OB peacock... cause its pink with a purplish blue secondary color
__________________
OsciTheOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
member

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 42.2411N/88.3161W
Posts: 6,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsciTheOscar View Post
and are we sure its an OB peacock... cause its pink with a purplish blue secondary color
They range in color from pink, orange, purple, and yellow. They're a man made fish that no two fish are alike. Just google image to see the infinite color combinations.
__________________
HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 625
yea i tried findin one with the same colors, but couldnt... i hate knowing i have a man made fish...
__________________
OsciTheOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Batt4Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 634
I've seen blood parrots that color before.
__________________
Batt4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #10
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
HN1's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ga
Posts: 8,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsciTheOscar View Post
yea i tried findin one with the same colors, but couldnt... i hate knowing i have a man made fish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batt4Christ View Post
I've seen blood parrots that color before.
Speaking of man made fish....
__________________
Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
member

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 42.2411N/88.3161W
Posts: 6,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsciTheOscar View Post
i realize this, as hukit and i spoke about this in my other thread about my Tiger Oscar... im new to all these things, and now im a slight bit more educated on all this...

im planning on getting another 55 gal. tank in the near future, i just need to get my vehicle fixed up and inspected first... no vehicle, no job, no job, no anything...

so when all is said and done ill have a SA cichlid tank and an African cichlid tank...
Yup Osci and I discussed his fish and stocking levels and he learned great deal. So can't wait till they can separate and maybe see some new pictures, the peacocks are showing great color, very nice!
__________________
HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 625
blood parrots are not always man made...

yea im getting another 55 in the next couple months... i wish i could get it sooner but its just not gonna be able to happen... I cant wait to see them separated too!

yea i really enjoy the peacock cichlids cause they all have some great color variations! the german peacocks name is blade, his dorsal fin, from the top, looks like a saw blade... with its white tips being offset looks like it... and then the blood red color is a good addition to his name!

the nimbochromis venustus name is ghillie, due to the camo colors and such, the OB is names Pinkie, the blood parrot is named Tard, and so on, i have names for all my fish but i wont bore you guys...
__________________
OsciTheOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
HN1's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ga
Posts: 8,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsciTheOscar View Post
blood parrots are not always man made...

yea im getting another 55 in the next couple months... i wish i could get it sooner but its just not gonna be able to happen... I cant wait to see them separated too!

yea i really enjoy the peacock cichlids cause they all have some great color variations! the german peacocks name is blade, his dorsal fin, from the top, looks like a saw blade... with its white tips being offset looks like it... and then the blood red color is a good addition to his name!

the nimbochromis venustus name is ghillie, due to the camo colors and such, the OB is names Pinkie, the blood parrot is named Tard, and so on, i have names for all my fish but i wont bore you guys...
Technically no fish are "man made", but yeah... every BP in existence would not be if not for intentional hybridization. It's not personally my thing, but we had one for a very long time and they are cool fish.
__________________
Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #14
member

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 42.2411N/88.3161W
Posts: 6,932
They theroize the blood parrot is a hybrid of a severum and red devil. They are certainly man made, another I dislike them personally is that they're all sterile.
__________________
HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Jason7894561230's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wollongong, Australia
Posts: 3,332
How big do they get? Are they the same as severums?
__________________
If you ever need help just message me
Have you given Any Thanks lately? If not, do so!

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #16
member

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 42.2411N/88.3161W
Posts: 6,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7894561230 View Post
How big do they get? Are they the same as severums?

They are slow growers but can reach 8-10"+. No severum are a completely seperate fish.
__________________
HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 625
well there are actualy parrot fish, but not these ugly creatures... i have this blood parrot cause the guy i bought the tank off of had him in the tank and was just gonna flush him if i didnt take him so i took him in.. hes probably about 4-5 inches now... for him its not so much length as it is thickness, id say hes wider than a $.25 coin maybe more like a half dollar... i just feel so bad for these fish cause they cant close their mouths therefor making it harder to feed... you watch them feed and you know they want these big meals, but they just have to settle for the sinking pellets that fall into their mouths... and i also feel bad for naming him "tard" but really... look at the fish, its always giving you a dumb look haha...

so i have a nice stand for a tank that i would like to actually use for my next tank... its dimensions are about 2'x3'... wondering if theres a deep and tall tank that would fit on there, or whats the biggest possible tank i could fit on it...
__________________
OsciTheOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mudraker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,652
Obviously, you shouldn't get a tank that is more than 2' X 3' if that is the length and width of the stand...

Quote:
They are certainly man made, another I dislike them personally is that they're all sterile.

A few people have had success breeding them in home aquaria.

They're just an award fish because of they are hybridized.

I got mine from someone moving who was gonna throw her in the creek. They're odd for sure, but I have grown to love mine. I call her "the abomonation."
__________________
mudraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #19
member

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 42.2411N/88.3161W
Posts: 6,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudraker View Post
Obviously, you shouldn't get a tank that is more than 2' X 3' if that is the length and width of the stand...




A few people have had success breeding them in home aquaria.

They're just an award fish because of they are hybridized.

I got mine from someone moving who was gonna throw her in the creek. They're odd for sure, but I have grown to love mine. I call her "the abomonation."
I've heard that about breeding at home as well, and couldnt find any verified pictures or anything to back it up. it's funny this came up, even the newest magazine of Tropical Fish has them as their cichlid of month and talks about their sterile and no know reports on home breeding.
__________________
HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:20 AM   #20
member

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 42.2411N/88.3161W
Posts: 6,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsciTheOscar View Post
well there are actualy parrot fish, but not these ugly creatures... i have this blood parrot cause the guy i bought the tank off of had him in the tank and was just gonna flush him if i didnt take him so i took him in.. hes probably about 4-5 inches now... for him its not so much length as it is thickness, id say hes wider than a $.25 coin maybe more like a half dollar... i just feel so bad for these fish cause they cant close their mouths therefor making it harder to feed... you watch them feed and you know they want these big meals, but they just have to settle for the sinking pellets that fall into their mouths... and i also feel bad for naming him "tard" but really... look at the fish, its always giving you a dumb look haha...
You need to change that poor fishes name for the love of Jesus. Poor thing he can't help it he looks like that or his mouth is deformed, talk to the chinese who created thes poor souls. So come on no more "tars talk".
__________________

__________________
HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
identification

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unknown Fish Identification clarnp49 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 09-05-2006 12:03 AM
Fish Identification help & fish images from asian countr catfishattack Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 9 08-01-2006 08:18 PM
Fish Identification Guppyman Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 21 11-21-2003 12:10 AM
Fish identification please dralarms Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 15 10-15-2003 08:18 PM
fish identification IndyReef Saltwater & Reef - Identification 5 08-20-2002 06:23 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.