Fish in a 29 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armenkk1

Aquarium Advice Freak
how many discus can I put in a 29 gal. tank. It has a canister filter that does 185 gph

BHead707 said:
i would suggest 2 max but they may need a bigger tank, im not too sure

I wouldnt put any Discus in a 29 long term, and never an adult.

2 rams

Discus need to be kept in groups of 5+ with 6 being the minimum size group that I would keep and recommend. However, if you get a mated pair, the two of them will do just fine in a 29g tank, assuming that you want to breed them. I've been to numerous breeder's homes over the years and they all put pairs in 29g tanks. If you decide to go that route, you could add a BN pleco and maybe a small school of some tetra and that's it.

You can keep 2 sexed pair (2 males and 2 females) of rams in a 29g tank. I've kept 4 proven pairs in a 55g tank before. If you go with 4, you will want to cut back on your other stocking list, but can still include a BN pleco.

bs6749 said:
Discus need to be kept in groups of 5+ with 6 being the minimum size group that I would keep and recommend. However, if you get a mated pair, the two of them will do just fine in a 29g tank, assuming that you want to breed them. I've been to numerous breeder's homes over the years and they all put pairs in 29g tanks. If you decide to go that route, you could add a BN pleco and maybe a small school of some tetra and that's it.

You can keep 2 sexed pair (2 males and 2 females) of rams in a 29g tank. I've kept 4 proven pairs in a 55g tank before. If you go with 4, you will want to cut back on your other stocking list, but can still include a BN pleco.

For breeding purposes, and if they are a proven pair who are frequently breeding. But just 2 in a 29? Seems much too small for 2 that might not end up being a pair

For breeding purposes, and if they are a proven pair who are frequently breeding. But just 2 in a 29? Seems much too small for 2 that might not end up being a pair

Look back at what I wrote and tell me where I said anything about putting two unpaired discus into a 29g tank permanently. They don't need to be a proven pair, they only need to be a mated pair. I ONLY recommended putting adults in there that were already a pair.

bs6749 said:
Look back at what I wrote and tell me where I said anything about putting two unpaired discus into a 29g tank permanently. They don't need to be a proven pair, they only need to be a mated pair. I ONLY recommended putting adults in there that were already a pair.

I realize you think that, but earlier someone suggested just 2 unsexed discus

dwarflionfishlover said:
Could I do 2 rams and 2 discus (of course they would both be mated pairs...)

Maybe while they are small. I don't know a whole lot about discuss but I believe they will eventually grow much bigger than the rams and for the tank as well.

I realize you think that, but earlier someone suggested just 2 unsexed discus

I think I see what you are saying. I thought you were implying that I was the one that said two unsexed discus by quoting me, when it was BHead707 that said basically "2 discus max", though he gave no mention as to sexed or unsexed pairs either way.

And to clear up confusion for others, there is a difference between a sexed pair, a mated pair, and a proven pair.

A sexed pair is simply a male and a female of a species.

A mated pair is a pair that has attempted to spawn together. This can be a M/F pair, a F/F pair, or rarely a M/M pair. Rare because males typically don't attempt to fertilize before eggs are laid.

A proven/confirmed pair is a M/F pair that is shown to be fertile and has produced wigglers together. Whether or not they are good parents has no impact on them being a proven pair as artificial rearing of the fry can be done in many species.

I would not do a pair of rams and a pair of discus in the same 29g tank. Pick one or the other. If you go with rams, you can do 2 pairs.

I would not put anything in there if you plan to put a mated pair of discus in there, since that would be a breeding tank anyhow.

Honestly if its a long term home and you want to have a community, just forget the discus all together until you get a larger tank.

I agree with what bs6749 is saying about both the rams and discus.

One viable option would be a single angelfish along with some rams and schoolers.

I would only do one pair or two pairs of rams at the most, based on that footprint size.

Back
Top Bottom