Fish into cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

axbrown

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so my apartment flooded, and today they were scheduled to replace it all. Only downside, my 55 & 75 gallon tanks... I moved all my cichlids and plecos, a moray eel and a cat fish to 30 gallon bins, and the eel in his own 10 gallon tank for one night, and a day while they replaced the carpet. I took out all the sand, and kept it wet in buckets. I slowly added the sand back today, and slowly added water as to not stir it up. Right now, I have all my fish but the eel in the 30 gallon tub with about 10 gallons of water, and a heater and a bubbler. But after after about a half an hour, my water is still cloudy in the tank. My question is, can I had the fish to the tank even though its cloudy? Or if not what should I do, add water to the tub for now (small amount) and take water out and refill the tank? I don't want to change the pH or salinity of the tank due to the eel, or my cichlids for that matter. What to do?

Attachments

• image-977634664.jpg
    image-977634664.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 54
  • image-4090299131.jpg
    image-4090299131.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 55
  • image-701631800.jpg
    image-701631800.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 65
You really have to check the water parameters. That looks like a bacterial bloom, due to some disturbing of the bacteria.
Test the water and look at the results. The cloudy water won't affect you're fish, the toxins will.

What will show up from the bacteria bloom in the test? I'll do one now

Nitrites were a little high, but everything else is normal. I'm gonna do a water change, but after that will adding my fish hurt them even though the water may still be cloudy?

Nitrites were a little high, but everything else is normal. I'm gonna do a water change, but after that will adding my fish hurt them even though the water may still be cloudy?
As i said, if the readings are as high as 0.25(ammonia and nitrite) maximum, it's perfectly safe for you're fish, though 0 is you're goal. You're gonna wanna keep the nitrate under 20 to not shock you're fish, or give them a hard time for the moment. Just make sure to change around 40%-50% of the water:)

As long as your water perimeters are ok then you can add them but if it is in fact a bacteria bloom you.need to watch the water quality closely. It means your going to have a mini cycle

Yea I'll keep am eye on it. But now that the test has say for a little bit, the nitrites are above 1.5... Ammonia isn't showing up at all. So big water change and another test? And will salinity changes shock them?

Yea I'll keep am eye on it. But now that the test has say for a little bit, the nitrites are above 1.5... Ammonia isn't showing up at all. So big water change and another test? And will salinity changes shock them?
Wow, 1,5 is way to much. You should lower it to at least 0.25 before adding any fish.

I'm definitely going to lower it first. But how long will they be ok in that bin with a bubbler and heater and about 20 gallons of water?

I could be wrong but it sounds like your gonna go through a mini cycle. Big water changes over and over again to those numbers down until your BB can catch up.

I'm definitely going to lower it first. But how long will they be ok in that bin with a bubbler and heater and about 20 gallons of water?
I wouldn't keep them more then a few days. It's a bit small for them. As Convict said, repetitive water changes will dilute the toxins and will be safe for you're fish:)

Ok, so the nitrites in the bin they are in is just as high. Assuming that the big water change I did in the tank, should I go ahead and put them into the tank? The nitrites were the same in both the tank and the bin

Ok, so the nitrites in the bin they are in is just as high. Assuming that the big water change I did in the tank, should I go ahead and put them into the tank? The nitrites were the same in both the tank and the bin

If the water parameters are the same then the water changes you performed on the tank will be of better quality then the bin water.

Acclimate them to your tank water and temp match as to not shock them. Once there all in, test water about an hour after. And perform water changes accordingly.

That's just my opinion.

If the water parameters are the same then the water changes you performed on the tank will be of better quality then the bin water.

Acclimate them to your tank water and temp match as to not shock them. Once there all in, test water about an hour after. And perform water changes accordingly.

That's just my opinion.

I agree, put them in the tank and pay close attention to perameters. You should be fine if you keep up on the water changes. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom