Fish moods.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molson_28

Aquarium Advice Activist
This may be the dumbest question but. Can water changes affect the mood of your fish? I just recently has to move my tank out of the basement. In the process I did roughly a 90 percent water change. My fish have never seemed happier. Just all in my head? Or is there something to this? Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If the water was nasty than certainly clean water will make them "happier".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dumb question you say? I'm here.
Yes, fish like clean water.
With that, just make sure you've got adequate(10x gph) filtration on the tank, and do the consistently required pwcs. Whats the fish stock and tank footprint? Just want to make sure things are on the up and up to succeed.
90%er inconsistent pwcs could be dangerous to more sensitive species of fish. Keepem as regular as you can(7-10days) with the right % pwc.
Hukit has a good link for pwcs.

Have to agree with Brookster. If the water conditions of their existing tank had gotten to a bad way, the new fresh water will definitely make them happier. That might also be an indicator for you that whatever you were doing wasn't enough and you need to take better care of your water. :whisper:
In some fish, a major change in water parameters, to the positive, is their cue to start breeding so yes, you could say that water changes effect a fish's mood. (y)

My fish were breeding before. I only have 4 fish in my tank. I was doin a 50 percent water change every week and I've had these fish for over 5 years now. I run a ehiem 600 canister filter on it so the filtration is more than enough for the 4 fish I keep. But ya I'm thinking just taking the rocks out cleaning underneath might make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cool! Pics are fun. I'm not critiquing in the slightest. I just needed more info about what you're keeping out of curiosity. I'm just long winded and have been known to venture off topic from time to time to learn from AA members, and about them some.
Im just probing for pics is all.

Yes ! My fish, both the goldfish I had, as well as the convicts I have now seem negatively affected by my PWC's. They hate it, and it stresses them, but they seem to recover quickly, and I am sure they would be much unhappier if I didn't do them at all, but when they see the syphon enter the tank, they freak out, and hunker down.

Kevin

Yes ! My fish, both the goldfish I had, as well as the convicts I have now seem negatively affected by my PWC's. They hate it, and it stresses them, but they seem to recover quickly, and I am sure they would be much unhappier if I didn't do them at all, but when they see the syphon enter the tank, they freak out, and hunker down.

Kevin

If it stresses them out so much, you might want to do smaller more frequent water changes so that the change is not as drastic each time. This may help the fish more than a larger water change once a week or so. (y)

If it stresses them out so much, you might want to do smaller more frequent water changes so that the change is not as drastic each time. This may help the fish more than a larger water change once a week or so. (y)

It's not the quantity of water that freaks them out, it's somebody standing the side of the tank, sucking water out of it. So more frequently might be worse. They calm down quickly after it's over, but they certainly don't like when it's going on, and for a little while after.

Kevin

Hi it could be that because you moved the tank,by giving it such a big clean up, it done them good. Think a bigger than usual clean can be beneficial once in a while {Say once or twice a year, but with caution}
My fish respond well to a water change,and my shrimps help out as well,by sitting on me hand :lol:

It's not the quantity of water that freaks them out, it's somebody standing the side of the tank, sucking water out of it. So more frequently might be worse. They calm down quickly after it's over, but they certainly don't like when it's going on, and for a little while after.

Kevin

In some cases, the eventual familiarity of the process calms the fish down. Currently, I can have fish spawning in tanks right next to the ones I am cleaning and they don't flinch. With some of my pairs they will actually continue spawning while I change water. But the bottom line is the fish shouldn't be freaking out when you do a water change. A little disturbed :eek:maybe but not freaking out. ;) (y)

Mine were actually a bit better on the recent water change, today, that included a heavy rock cleaning, and also some rearrangement of terrain and a new cave. it was funny watching the pecking order on who would claim the new space.

Back
Top Bottom