Flower Horn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got-to-love-Chiclids

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was thinking of getting a flower horn. I want a baby I have a 20g set up he will be going in with a tire track and a bushy nose pleco. If I can get a little info about there care thanks :)

20 gallon is way to small for a flower horn or the eel. Flowerhorns need at least a 75 gallon to them selves and are extremely aggressive an are best housed alone. Mastacembelus armatus aka tire track eels grow to 3' long and need an extremely large tank. The only fish that can really be housed on your tank in the pleco.

My flowerhorn is in a 75 with a mix of 10 other smaller cichlids.. They all do fine... Personally I put fish in and if I don't think it will work or have doubts, I just watch and make sure.. If they begin to bully a particular fish I pull the bullied fish and find a better suited tank for him. From my experience the flowerhorn only attacks little fish like tetras.. Oh and he harassed my Chinese algae eater so I pulled him.

A 20gal works as a Short term grow out tank, but you should be looking at a 4 ft minimim tank for a flowerhorn. A 55, 75, or 90 would be ideal for a single flowerhorn.

I know several accounts of people that have owned flowerhorns and they have wiped out all the other fish, including other mean cichlids.

I can't speak for the eel, but if it grows to 3 feet, that speaks for itself.

Back
Top Bottom