Flowerhorn Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlowerhornsRock

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the recommended size to allow Flowerhorns to breed?

I here the larger the female the larger the eggs, better quality fry...

It doesn't matter how large the female is, the eggs will be the same size as a smaller female.

Female flowerhorns will breed as small as 5".

Is think you allow them to breed whenever. Let nature do.its thing. My texas cichlids have spawned although still small. My male just isnt mature enough to fertilize.

Is think you allow them to breed whenever. Let nature do.its thing. My texas cichlids have spawned although still small. My male just isnt mature enough to fertilize.

I haven't been able to socialize them together yet, Divider in place ATM. They show signs of breeding when I allow them together but it turns violent and the male pays the price i.e. fins scales. I really believe if I left them she would kill him.

I have heard that same thing and don't agree with it. I have also heard, don't let her spawn early at a small size because it will slow her growth rate down and not allow her to reach her potential full grown size. I also don't agree with this.

Keeping up on water quality and a healthy diet will always promote proper growth/health. IMO.

I see that in most SA breeding pair. The male is lager. I'v read that females consider size when choosing mates just like they do color. Is it a dominance issue between male and female. I guess what I'm asking is does the male HAVE to be bigger for breeding to be successful.

No the males don't have to be bigger, but after she lays eggs, generally a larger female will bully him why protecting the nest. A divider is just the safest way to go about breeding most aggressive fish. The smallest one is almost always bullied.

Aski247 said:
No the males don't have to be bigger, but after she lays eggs, generally a larger female will bully him why protecting the nest. A divider is just the safest way to go about breeding most aggressive fish. The smallest one is almost always bullied.

So I'm guessing that a "love door" is a good idea in either case. I'v seen them in some vids and read about them. Have you ever used that approach?

phishfriend said:
So I'm guessing that a "love door" is a good idea in either case. I'v seen them in some vids and read about them. Have you ever used that approach?

In the past yes. It really is the only sure fire way to make sure the smaller of the pair will not be killed. After the male catches her in size and passes her he might be ok with out it.

Aski247 said:
I have heard that same thing and don't agree with it. I have also heard, don't let her spawn early at a small size because it will slow her growth rate down and not allow her to reach her potential full grown size. I also don't agree with this.

Keeping up on water quality and a healthy diet will always promote proper growth/health. IMO.

Ty for reply

rocksor said:
It doesn't matter how large the female is, the eggs will be the same size as a smaller female.

Female flowerhorns will breed as small as 5".

This is my first time with egg layers and trying to do whats best for the fish especially under my learning curve

So the male dug underneath the the divider and was on the other side getting tore up. A lot of damage this time to scales and flesh so lessoned learn don't just put divider in gravel make it go to the glass on the bottom. Come back 1 hour later and he now almost has his upper lip ripped off from lip locking through the divider. Omg wtf can everyone calm the F down please. So i now added a second divider allowing free space between them so lip lock is now not even possible. Had to use scissors to remove upper lip flesh that would of healed in a deformed way. Adding salt and increasing WC to reduce infections. Pheromone in the water maybe driving him crazy?

Back
Top Bottom