Flowerhorn tank mate question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garganoth

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have adopted a flowerhorn as the person who bought him didn't realize he had a mean streak. I have him in his own tank and was wondering if I could put a cobalt crayfish or something similar in with him. He's in a 55 gallon tank that's all rock scaped currently. I am planning on adding a star moss wall and some driftwood.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1396213071186.jpg
    1396213071186.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 117
The pic of him was him in my large aggressive tank until his new one was set up.

More than likely, your FH will kill a crayfish after a molt. Finding a tankmate for a FH is going to be tough, lol. It's probably best to just keep him as a single specimen. :)

That's what I was afraid of...i didn't know if there was something similar that might be better. If not he will get his own tank. : ) Thanks!

If u want a bottom dweller I would
Look Into syno catfish!! They've been known to handle oscars and are actually quite beautiful catfish to be honest

If u want a bottom dweller I would
Look Into syno catfish!! They've been known to handle oscars and are actually quite beautiful catfish to be honest

I didn't think a catfish would be able to handle the FH...i guess with good hiding spots it would. I just looked at some pictures they really are good looking fish. Thanks!

I didn't think a catfish would be able to handle the FH...i guess with good hiding spots it would. I just looked at some pictures they really are good looking fish. Thanks!

Yes in my opinion there the best looking catfish and some of them get pretty big though so be careful which one u choose!!! And they can fight off tough fish so as long as u have a big enough tank I think it would be great

I really don't think that's a good idea. FHs are supposedly quite intolerant of tankmates. They are a lot more aggressive than oscars from what I understand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I really don't think that's a good idea. FHs are supposedly quite intolerant of tankmates. They are a lot more aggressive than oscars from what I understand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Well it does all depend on the fish!!!! I think I had the most aggressive oscar ever!!! Eat my pleco eat my other oscar so I tried a 4 inch syno knowing him it went for him right away an it have it a taste of it's own medicine and he never attacked it again!! So it kinda is the fish but FH's are known to be aggressive.

A large pleco would probably work with him. Syno cats im afraid would be lunch.

No syno cats are super tough! Go look them up on YouTube or google you will be shocked. I had a Pleco with my oscar and became lunch in a week

I have a 6" synodontis with a 10" jag and trust me the jag will think twice before bugging him...he is super aggressive, perfect to keep with ill tempered cichlids....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And yes, I had a 10" pleco with my flower horn (7") before I sold the later. They were doing fine together. Right now the pleco is with a 12" tiger oscar again doing fine. He mostly gets active after dark so doesn't bother the oscar much...so I guess both syno n pleco r worth a shot...

I have a 6" synodontis with a 10" jag and trust me the jag will think twice before bugging him...he is super aggressive, perfect to keep with ill tempered cichlids....

This sounds great I'll keep looking into it.

Put in the syno first, let him settle in and then introduce the Fh....this might help?

Ok maybe I'll just go out and buy the bigger tank now and run it for a while with just the cat.

Cool...but this is just an idea which may work....and provided the experience we have in this forum, I would really like some experts to provide their point of view.

Cool...but this is just an idea which may work....and provided the experience we have in this forum, I would really like some experts to provide their point of view.

I totally understand but the synos look awesome. So even if it's not going to work he can go into my other tank.

Back
Top Bottom