Flowerhorn tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid7646

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was interested in getting a flowerhorn cichlid, i know they are agresive but i know there are some other fish you can keep with them. I have a 56 gallon tank (216 litres).

Flowerhorns can be beautiful and seem to be becoming more common. I've seen them regularly sold at Petsmart. On the other hand, FH' s can be mean as snakes and grow really large. Let's face it, that's a hybrid containing the mixed DNA of some very tough fish.
Your 56 gal. Tank might be large enough to house one adult Flowerhorn and a small Pleco.
IMO, A 120 gal. Tank would be the minimum size to even consider other cichlid tankmates. With hyper aggressive cichlids, tankmates need to be somewhat equal in size and temperament, and there needs to be several of them as to dilute aggrssion.
You might consider buying a 1" juvenile FH along with a few other similar sized rugged cichlid juveniles like Texas cichlid, Green Terror, or even a Red Devil cichlid and let them grow up together. Even then your small tank would need to be hardscaped with a lot of barriers and caves as to lessen aggrssion.
That would just be a start. Within six months a much larger tank would be required. I came across a great YouTube which might help "Your fish keeper friend - How I keep aggressive cichlids". That guy is a breeder of aggressive new world cichlids and hybrids and has a lot of knowledge about Flowerhorns.

The flowerhorn will get too big for that tank!! They get huge so a 56g wont work unless you get the more smaller mix versions like the Bonsai Flowerhorn but a regular one will need 120+. For tankmates i would suggest Plecos, nothing else would work and would most likely get killed.

Kenny, ordinarily I would agree "No tankmates with Flowerhorns" but over the past few years I've seen and experienced so many successful unlikely cichlid combinations that I wouldn't rule out the possibility.
Tankmates that are big and fast, or big and tough, raised together as juvies, coupled with a large well scaped tank. Maybe?

Back
Top Bottom