Fluval Filters. Yay or nay?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With Fluval Canister filters there are no cartridges. They are fantastic filters as well. Basically, you put the media in a bag, use sponges, etc, whatever you're wanting to do. They have media baskets you place them in. Much better biologically then a HOB, but you should run both a HOB and a Canister for ultimate filtration. :)

I was just running a fluval 404 and an Ac 70 on a fairly stocked 65 gallon and ya the water was crystal clear! No complaints!

I have the 106 and a 306 on different tanks... fantastic canister filters. Highly recommend!

I have a 304 on my 40 planted, does a good job but gonna hook up my rena xp4 for some more flow. And about to run TWO Fx5's on my 135 :)

I have the 406 running with the emperor 400, water is crystal clear. No problems with the fluval. Its quiet, really easy to customize and clean. Also it moves some water, im going to be buying another one soon.

Hi they sit usually in the cabinet below the aquarium.
I have three 405s and one 406 and have used fluvals for years and generally very happy with them but! One filter when switched of can prove hard to start again,usually cause it needs cleaning :oops: my main gripe or problem with mine is there seems to be a certain amount of 'muck' seems to accumulate in the 'crinkled' pipes so after cleaning the filter it can and usually does pump some muck back into the tank!

What about common tanks? Just went thru this nightmare

My tank: 38 gallon - 5 goldfish (medium sized) and a Pleco. 20% siphon water/vacuum gravel exchange every three weeks. Bottled spring water only since local water supply is horrible. This means $12 every month. Water tests fine by both "test strips" and bringing a sample to Petland for its tests. The water in the aquarium is crystal clear but the "silk" artificial plants are full of that awful black/grey beard algae.

My Tetra 30-60 filter with 300 gph capacity and requiring two filters every month ...... died unexpectedly after 3 years of quiet filtration but building up immense deposits of "Beard/Black" algae.

I bought a new one and went through a series of four exchanges and ended up with Aqua-Tech 30-60 off brand. It now works fine but here is what I did and I think I learned a lesson ........... so help me if I am wrong.

After going shopping on line and in person at Petco, Petland and Petsmart. the diversity of pricing is bizarre and units are way over rated for tank capacity for no reason. To me, it appears a 38 gallon tank needs at least 250 gallons per minute of filtration ........ yet none of the name brands come close to that. If that is not correct, please chime in.

So now, after much research ............ please help since I am trying to be prepared for the next filter failure which I expect within a year:

I plan to go with either:

1) AquaClear70
http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Filtration/Clip-On/A615
or

2) FluvalC4
http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Filtration/Clip-On/14003

Can I please get some help here. I just love a clean and clear tank !:fish2:
:

Paul, I think you should have started a separate thread. Lol

Anyway, my vote is the Fluval C4. I've had the C2 for quite sometime and it's one of the best HOB filters out there.

For HOB's it seems most go with the AquaClears and typically the larger models and buying two at a time. For me, I prefer a canister filter. Here are your options for your tank: Fluval 300 or 400 series, Rena XP series, or Eheim classics. Don't worry about GPH as much as the tank size rating that suggest. I will typically buy a filter with ability to filter at least 2-3 times my tank size, and everyone else pretty much follows this rule.

Just as a heads up it seems that Fluval bought Aquaclear. I purchased a AC70 recently and it says Fluval right on the front of the box. Anyone notice any difference in the newer "AC" vs the older ones?

Just as a heads up it seems that Fluval bought Aquaclear. I purchased a AC70 recently and it says Fluval right on the front of the box.

That's correct, fluval and aqua clear are both Hagen products. It seems to me like most aqua clear is being changed to fluval. I have 2 110s, a 70 and a 20 all say "fluval formerly aqua clear"

That's correct, fluval and aqua clear are both Hagen products. It seems to me like most aqua clear is being changed to fluval. I have 2 110s, a 70 and a 20 all say "fluval formerly aqua clear"

Ah I didn't even connect those dots! Glad to know I'm not going crazy! Have you noticed any quality changes at all?

Back
Top Bottom