Frontosa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure of the length. But yes a male frontoas will get a large bump type growth coming from his head. If either of you have a female there will never be a bump.

Its going to take a while and some frontosa don't get any humps at all (well I whould say much smaller bumps). The Burundi Frontosa are the ones know for the big humps. They will start to get them around 5"-6" the size of the hump also shows dominanace. The dominant male will get the larger humps.

PS Frontosa are extremely slow growers.

Frontosa females can get a hump just as large as a males. Mine started developing theirs at about 3". Frontosas are slow growers, except in the first few years, in which they grow quite rapidly.

Thanks !! Just making sure letting them grow bigger in my tank so that they can be moved to a 150 gal tank

Having six stripes doesn't make it a Burundi. In fact, most frontosas have six stripes. There is one that has seven and I've seen five stripe, though I don't know if five stripes is natural. All others are six stripe. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388529021.838111.jpg

One of my Burundi at about a year old. He's already developing his bump yet far from sexual maturity.
I can post more recent pics of my dim male if y'all would like.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388553127.785759.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388553127.785759.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 108
Im going to count the stripes on my Frontosa. Interesting. :) thanks for the info

The type you have depends on the collection point. Some have more blue, some are black and white with touch of blue. Some have a hint of gold in their top fin.
Where did you get yours?

It's probably Burundi. Burundi are most common in pet stores and since they breed easily there are a lot in the hobby. Usually the other variants are a little more expensive.

The hump isn't really an age or sex thing. Though it true that males are more likely to have a hump that's not ALWAYS the case. I have males (and a female) that started developing it at around a year and I have others that didn't start till around two years old. It depends on the fish.
Feed them well and the fish will grow for you.

Back
Top Bottom