Frontosa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alvarez

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think I have found a home for my Bala, my Iridescent, and my Clown loach. If I go with a cichlid tank is a Frontosa too big for my 56 gallon 30" long tank or would it be possible to have a Frontosa, a Yellow Lab, and a few other cichlids?

I love frontosa's but I think the tank may be to small long term. They get over a foot long would be happier in a tank of 75g or larger. There are several other types of Lake Tanganyika cichlids that would be better choices.

long term, with everything else you keep, that tank will be too small. Frontosa get to be quite large, albeit they are fairly peacful (so long as the fish can't fit in their mouth)

i agree with the 75 gallon idea and would probably go a bit larger then that if at all possible.

Fronts are carnivres. Lights out, bye bye labs imo lol...

sorry man ... This isn't necessarily true. oneof my best friends keeps 4 frontosa (from 5" up to about 9"long) in with yellow labs, and other smaller fish ... the frontosas definately have rule of the tank, but nothing has gone missing. Yes they are carnivores, but they aren't always that mean ... most of them are quite timid in my experience

They keep big Frontosa's in the big tank at the LFS with yellow labs... thats why I assumed they were compatible.

Alvarez said:
They keep big Frontosa's in the big tank at the LFS with yellow labs... thats why I assumed they were compatible.

never trust the local fish store's...

Hrafnkel said:
You could go with south american cichlids instead, too. What are the dimensions of the tank?

What are some good colored south american cichlids that are compatible with each other and would go good in my 56 gallon tank. (remember its only 30" long)

Back
Top Bottom