Frontosa cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, i had planned for a planted community tank in the future but now i am thinking frintosa cichlids. I stumbled across them while dong some research on other fish. THe are lake Tanganyik cichlids if i am not mistaken. I
have a few questions about them

1)how large of a tank should they have?
2)what are other Tanganyik cichlids i could house them with?
3) How can you sex theM?
4)how long do they live?
5)what kindof water do they like
6)what kind of decor would be like their naturla habitat?
7) has anybody kept these before?, i really really want one now.
8)could i put some plants in with them at all(i'm geussing no)

I think these are the most beautiful fish i have ever set eyes upon, even more beautiful than discus IMO.

I would really appreciate some answeres for these questions.

Not sure on the Stocking it seems to vary a lot. for example from my malawi research I've seen reccomendations from 12-20 depending on fish size, filtration and aggressiveness. I've stopped asking the LFS due to the fact that they are there to sell you as many fish as possible.

lol, yeah, i never ask my LFS for advice. THeir only use IMO is a fish seller and not a fish info giver.

I am thinking tow would be ok with a pleco and maybe some other types on cichlids from the same lake.

IMO, a 55g would serve only as a grow-out for a fish that reaches 12"+ in adult length. but i haven't kept them and don't know much about them.

hey - don't be disheartened. they take a loooong time to mature. so, you might still be able to enjoy these beautiful fish. i was just being pessimistic!
anyways, its not possible to keep adult fronts in a 55g longterm. but juvies (1"+) can possibly be kept till they mature. but please let someone who has kept them guide you.

From what I understand, frontosa are often kept in a species tank, and do best in a harem with 1 male to 3-4 females. I've seen recommendations that a frontosa harem be kept in a 6 foot, 125 gallon tank or larger. The males can grow to 14 inches. They do take a long time to reach adult size, but maybe you should consider another species if you don't plan to upgrade to a large tank in the future. JMO

Back
Top Bottom