Future plans, researching now.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMRC Exotics

Aquarium Advice Addict
So as many of you know I currently have a poorly stocked 60 gallon cichlid tank and a 20 high quarantine tank that I maintain. I'm looking a few months down the road and planning my equipment as well as stocking phases.

First let me address my plans, I'm looking to leave my 60 gallon as a living room display cichlid tank. Stocking is not yet ironed out but will center around some peacock cichlids. Next is two smaller tanks planned. I'm looking to do some sort of planted nano. The other tank I'm hoping to do a small saltwater reef. Looking at shorter tanks with a longer footprint in the 20-40 gallon range. I'm also looking to setup a 70-90 to keep just one fish. More on that later. So in summary my new tanks will be:

1 5-20 gallon planted tank (option 1)
Open to suggestions on substrate and plants
Will be low tech low light with liquid ferts or root tabs. Much more research to do here.
Stock in mind is some shrimp and a few schoolers. Have considered CPDs as well neons and am open to any suggestions here as well. I would really like to get some gbr if I go this route as well.

The only thing stopping me from grabbing the stuff to start it is ruling out (option 2) a sand bottom tank with some shellies. I have to choose between the two options on how to proceed. I'm leaning more towards a planted tank but those shell dwellers have had my eye a while.

Tank 2 will be a saltwater 20-40 gallon. Really looking to do a small reef. I have kept sw before but will have tons of questions when the time for this build comes.

Tank 3 will be a large tank that will house a large fish. It won't require much planning.

So if you made it this far thanks for the time. This thread will develop rather slowly as I get things in place but I will update with lots of pics and progress when there is some. I'll have some more pointed questions to ask later.

So as many of you know I currently have a poorly stocked 60 gallon cichlid tank and a 20 high quarantine tank that I maintain. I'm looking a few months down the road and planning my equipment as well as stocking phases.

First let me address my plans, I'm looking to leave my 60 gallon as a living room display cichlid tank. Stocking is not yet ironed out but will center around some peacock cichlids. Next is two smaller tanks planned. I'm looking to do some sort of planted nano. The other tank I'm hoping to do a small saltwater reef. Looking at shorter tanks with a longer footprint in the 20-40 gallon range. I'm also looking to setup a 70-90 to keep just one fish. More on that later. So in summary my new tanks will be:

1 5-20 gallon planted tank (option 1)
Open to suggestions on substrate and plants
Will be low tech low light with liquid ferts or root tabs. Much more research to do here.
Stock in mind is some shrimp and a few schoolers. Have considered CPDs as well neons and am open to any suggestions here as well. I would really like to get some gbr if I go this route as well.

The only thing stopping me from grabbing the stuff to start it is ruling out (option 2) a sand bottom tank with some shellies. I have to choose between the two options on how to proceed. I'm leaning more towards a planted tank but those shell dwellers have had my eye a while.

Tank 2 will be a saltwater 20-40 gallon. Really looking to do a small reef. I have kept sw before but will have tons of questions when the time for this build comes.

Tank 3 will be a large tank that will house a large fish. It won't require much planning.

So if you made it this far thanks for the time. This thread will develop rather slowly as I get things in place but I will update with lots of pics and progress when there is some. I'll have some more pointed questions to ask later.

Following. If you have never had a planted tank. You really should. It's stressful but once everything comes together you will feel blown away. The Shellie's are cool but really it gets boring fast lol. But everyone has their own opinions. If your gonna start planted don't opt for the cheap route go the little more expensive route it will pay off huge. I recommend a t5ho lighting system. How big is the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank 1: say low tech all you want to now but once you start it will change fast. I found out a long time ago that if you buy for example a low level light it ends up in the closet quickly and you spend again to get the better one.

Tank 2: I have no, nada, not any experience with salt but I would do a 33 long or a 40B

Tank 3: 1 word> Amphilophus

Tank 1: say low tech all you want to now but once you start it will change fast. I found out a long time ago that if you buy for example a low level light it ends up in the closet quickly and you spend again to get the better one.

Tank 2: I have no, nada, not any experience with salt but I would do a 33 long or a 40B

Tank 3: 1 word> Amphilophus

Mike has good info here. I agree.

I love my 60g mbuna tank but I've been thinking about doing a 20g long saltwater fowlr, with a pair of clownfish and a clean up crew. I'm not interested yet in dumping a ton of money into lighting for corals. But maybe eventually. Seems like 40g breeder would be a good footprint if you aren't looking to do a big tank. Are you going to do a sump on it?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the interest everyone. Let me try to take this one at a time.

The boring name (great name BTW), yeah I'm really excited to dive into the planted world. I'm pretty experienced at out of water plant keeping and hope some of my nutrient knowledge will carry over. Lots to learn here and I am a diligent learner. I'm considering led but t5s are still an option.

Mike,
Tank 1: I really would love to go all out co2 injection, high level lighting, the works... but I have to keep it within reason. I'm planning to get some $100-150 tops lights and work up from there. I really have a lot to learn still. I also need to keep room in the budget for the huge expenses associated with tank 2

Tank 2: I'm in the same boat. Lots to learn here. Some super knowledgeable guys here though, Mr. X and many others whose names I can't quite call. Mattyfelts too definitely though we haven't started on a great note.

Tank 3: first time I've said it but, The flowerhorn (which is part amphilophus and may be what you meant). The wife is in love with it and Im afraid of it ending up somewhere it wont be properly cared for. I'm ready to give it its own tank.

Ulrich, I've been dying to get back into sw. Check out Paul's thread if you haven't... absolutely amazing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The boring name (great name BTW), yeah I'm really excited to dive into the planted world. I'm pretty experienced at out of water plant keeping and hope some of my nutrient knowledge will carry over. Lots to learn here and I am a diligent learner. I'm considering led but t5s are still an option.

Mike,
Tank 1: I really would love to go all out co2 injection, high level lighting, the works... but I have to keep it within reason. I'm planning to get some $100-150 tops lights and work up from there. I really have a lot to learn still. I also need to keep room in the budget for the huge expenses associated with tank 2

Tank 2: I'm in the same boat. Lots to learn here. Some super knowledgeable guys here though, Mr. X and many others whose names I can't quite call. Mattyfelts too definitely though we haven't started on a great note.

Tank 3: first time I've said it but, The flowerhorn (which is part amphilophus and may be what you meant). The wife is in love with it and Im afraid of it ending up somewhere it wont be properly cared for. I'm ready to give it its own tank.

Ulrich, I've been dying to get back into sw. Check out Paul's thread if you haven't... absolutely amazing.

I was about to try to persuade you not to get a hybrid but I realized you already have it. My hybrid is awesome but he fell into my care and has grown on me. I never would have just got him. I have never owned a flowerhorn but have seen some full grown and they are full of personality and as mean as can be. I think he will be happy in a 90.

I was about to try to persuade you not to get a hybrid but I realized you already have it. My hybrid is awesome but he fell into my care and has grown on me. I never would have just got him. I have never owned a flowerhorn but have seen some full grown and they are full of personality and as mean as can be. I think he will be happy in a 90.

Yeah he was a complete accident. Still at the 2"-2 1/2" size but I'm just not finding any local outlets to safely ensure he's looked after. Worse yet went to Petco for a mouse and saw they had some flower horns for sale(no mention of size or aggressiveness). Its actually the location I bought mine, they had a 2 day aquatic show and breeders with booths setup with individual tanks. Looks like they got some too, they're in a tank without the prelabeled informational sticker. Marked $12. Hate to know how many people will end up with my predicament.

The fish no doubt has personality.
Its currently at the 2.5 inch range. Purchase size was 1.5". At what size should I expect aggression. Its passive now though I'm well aware that will change.

Personally I'd forget the shellies at less you start up another small tank just for them. Btw that's coming from a person that keeps the rare hard to find Sumbu.

If it was me I'd do the rams or apistos. I love live plants and you can never go wrong with them when compared to all rocks or shells.

Here is my 20 long salt. It's a work In progress cause I'm by far not rich. Ha many cause I love everything aquatic and it drains my account to fast running 13 tanks. BTW if your doing salt you'll need rodi so that will help on say gbr.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1426555636363.jpg
    1426555636363.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 90

Mike,

I'm pretty sure the most recommend led is finnex Ray. But the oddesy masked a killer t5 quad for relatively cheap. If you go high lighting u need co2 no doubt. Diy co2 could be an option. Obviously the bigger the tank the more needed. It's cheaper but a bit tougher to look after. As for plant tabs almost everyone including me use osmocote+ for the heavy root feeders. I also use Api leaf zone and some flourish 1 every week.

Personally I'd forget the shellies at less you start up another small tank just for them. Btw that's coming from a person that keeps the rare hard to find Sumbu.

If it was me I'd do the rams or apistos. I love live plants and you can never go wrong with them when compared to all rocks or shells.

Here is my 20 long salt. It's a work In progress cause I'm by far not rich. Ha many cause I love everything aquatic and it drains my account to fast running 13 tanks. BTW if your doing salt you'll need rodi so that will help on say gbr.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, I meant if I did shellies it would be them instead of a planted tank in a shellie appropriate setup. Im still leaning towards planted and think I can basically eliminate the Shellie idea for now.

Update: so after much thought I've decided to hold off on the saltwater for a while. I'm just really not where I need to be knowledge wise to go into it. Maybe later this year. I really want to be able to do it right.

Im continuing with a planted tank. Went tank hunting yesterday but came home empty handed. I'm still debating size and have considered as small as a 5 gallon up to a 20 long. Could a pair of rams be kept in a 10 with some shrimp or cpd? Obviously won't do any rams if I get any smaller than 10.

Looking for a 40 breeder or a 55 to do some mbuna in as I already have several that I need to separate from my peacocks.

Update: so after much thought I've decided to hold off on the saltwater for a while. I'm just really not where I need to be knowledge wise to go into it. Maybe later this year.

Im continuing with a planted tank. Went tank hunting yesterday but came home empty handed. I'm still debating size and have considered as small as a 5 gallon up to a 20 long. Could a pair of rams be kept in a 10 with some shrimp or cpd?

Looking for a 40b or a 55 to do some mbuna in as I already have several.

I would say 20 min for the rams. You may get away with a 15 (same foot print but not as tall) but you will really need to watch the parameters. 20 L would be much better.

OK thanks mike. Ill have to decide between not doing the rams or just going with the 20. Would a twenty tall work? I have a 20 long and a 20 high already. Only problem with the tall is I think ill need stronger lights than if I use the 20 long.

OK thanks mike. Ill have to decide between not doing the rams or just going with the 20. Would a twenty tall work? I have a 20 long and a 20 high already. Only problem with the tall is I think ill need stronger lights than if I use the 20 long.

Yes, Yes and Yes! LOL That's what my pair are in. A 20H with 10 neon's.

Future plans, yay!

Have to read thru this whole thread while I have more time but I wanted to give my .02 on the rams. Years ago I belong to the Capital Cichlid Association and impulse bought a pair of rams at one of their meetings/auctions. No experience with them whatsoever. Had an established, planted, yet empty 5g so I put them in there. They spawned not long after and I had them in that tank for quite a few years.

I definitely wouldn't recommend a 5g but in my opinion a well planted 10g would be fine.

img_3190288_0_62563633528b65e48a5ebb2174e623b6.jpg

Thanks gillie, that actually works out great as my LFS has them. I've been down the neon road a few times, it seems about 2 out of 10 rarely survive the transition to the new tank. Don't cardinals get slightly larger? I haven't researched their proper school numbers, I can look it up but if anyone knows the cardinal school numbers off the top of their head let me know. Was thinking 7-8 was all I wanted bio load wise but could go to 10 if needed.

Cardinals with rams not neons, neons don't like water above 77-78 degrees and they die enough on their own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Their doing good so far at 80. Hopefully I'm not hurting them. They eat good and everything.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom