GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic26

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can u help me sex my rams.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140413_200227.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140413_200227.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 92
  • ForumRunner_20140413_200240.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140413_200240.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 113
The one in the first picture chases the second one not that often. The second one has blue spots in the middle of the black spot.

So the first is a male. He is more color full than the other but has a light pink dab on his belly?

2nd pic is for sure a female. Need a closer picture of the 1st one to tell gender of it.

Sorry didn't send.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140413_203008.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140413_203008.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 105
I can see a little bit of pink on the stomach and that means female, but this one also has a higher top fin and female gbr's typically have shorter ones than the males. I'd probably say female but not 100% positive.

The first doesn't have any blue in his dot though. Should I go get a male I wanted them to breed.

Very true, his block dot is solid and doesn't have blue and like I said the top fin is longer. Could be a male :) just wait it out and see what happens. Google GBR courtship. If they're doing that it means they're getting ready to spawn.

I would like to see a better photo of the first fish I swear I see some pink in the belly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The one is definitely a female as you can see the pink belly. The other looks like it has a little pink so I would say it may be a female as well but can't quite tell. People will tell you to look at the dorsal fins as the males will be higher and most of the time they are but not always and then people say to look at if the black spot is mottled with blue which is crap and almost totally unreliable and any other of a number of reasons but all you need to do is look and see if she has a pink belly. The female GBR will always have a pink belly which will get redder as she gets closer to breeding and the male does not. It's plain and simple. It kills me to see all these weird ways to tell if its a male which non are 100% reliable except for the pink belly.

The one is definitely a female as you can see the pink belly. The other looks like it has a little pink so I would say it may be a female as well but can't quite tell. People will tell you to look at the dorsal fins as the males will be higher and most of the time they are but not always and then people say to look at if the black spot is mottled with blue which is crap and almost totally unreliable and any other of a number of reasons but all you need to do is look and see if she has a pink belly. The female GBR will always have a pink belly which will get redder as she gets closer to breeding and the male does not. It's plain and simple. It kills me to see all these weird ways to tell if its a male which non are 100% reliable except for the pink belly.

+1 on the spot thing it really only works with wild rams which will still have the occasional exception German rams have been so line bred that most of them will only be sexable by belly color.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It looks like you have two females to me as they both seem to have the pink on their bellies! Most local fish shops will trade up one for another. I your wanting to breed them the best way to get a pair is to buy a group of fish say 1 x male and 3/4 females then once you have a pair remove any extras from the tank.

Sadly the bigger and more color full killed the smaller one before I could bring her back.:'(

Search for a breeder on ebay or just online they normally sell them in groups and will sex as in say 1M4F then you'll get a pair from them!

Back
Top Bottom