GBR advise please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I want your opinions on how many German blue rams I can keep in a 1000 litre heavily planted tank with lots of hiding places and what you would recommend on the male to female ratio? All opinions appreciated.

That's a big tank just for GBR, you could do loads in that espeacially if it's long. I would start off adding around 20 male and female mix and take it from there, watch for pairs etc and add more if things are going well. Remember to add at least 2 big schools of Tetra to the tank it will bring out the best in the rams, a fuller body Tetra is better, like Lemon or Bleeding Heart. Keep in mind GBR don't do well in uncycled tanks, I wouldn't want to add 20 GBR to an uncycled tank you could well loose a lot of money, start of with the Tetra or do a fishless cycle first.

Thanks for the advice. Woukd the males fight? And does there need to be a make to female ratio or is it not that important? and yea the tank is 7 foot long so it should be ok and yea I know they are a bit sensitive to water condition but I am gonna try a fish less cycle because I have never done it before :)

+ I won't be adding that many fish at 1 time, that was 1 of the 1st mistakes I made when I started.

GBR's do fight a bit, but it's nothing compared to there bigger cousins. In a tank your size it will probably be a chase and a bit of fin flaring, nothing to serious, more so when eggs have been laid - just put loads of plants, bogwood caves etc and you will be fine. A tank that size filled with GBR would be a stunning tank. Can't recommend you fishless cycle any stronger, it will be a lot of work in a big tank - but well worth it, you could do a fish in with loads of Tetra which you will need anyway for the GBR - dither fish is a must with Cichlids. Male female ratio won't be to important until on down the road when your tank is nearing fully stocked, just look for matched and unmatched pairs and add accordingly. If you allow 30cm by 30cm for each breeding site you should be okay, in the end you would want more females than males and dont mix species ie gold ram with GBR or electric blue, you will get messed up looking fry. IMO feed them on New Life Spectrum Cichlid pellets for there best colour and health, or New Life Spectrum Thera A - my GBR love boiled deshelled peas, really good for them and I bet you yours go crazy for them to when you get them. You will probably need a mid sized group of substrate cleaners, I'd recommend 10 Sterbai or Julii Corydoras - my GBR get on well with them. I've also found the variety of Rams that are called German Rams, or sometimes labelled Wild Caught German Rams, like the one in my profile pic are far hardier than the Asian type that come from dodgy breeding processes, the Asian rams do look stunning with the really deep blue and fire red but are a hit and miss even here in the uk where the Rams are generally hardier the US stock.

Last edited:
Ok thank you :) yea I will add the tetras 1st then and I was planning on a shoal of corydoras adolfoi, do you think that would be ok?

The adolfoi will be perfect, lovely Cory's to! You could do a nice big group of these, Cory's in a large group are a sight to see - I would do 10-15 depending on what else you putting in. Best tip I can give you for GBR is make sure your well filtered, over filtered if possible and get used to water changes - once you have a system in place it takes no time at all, and Seachem Prime - will save you a fortune! As well as being the best product of its type.
If you wanted to go really natural and really increase your egg survival rate get a load of dried Almond leaves and drop them in the tank, get them on eBay cheap, they will lower your pH, release some tannins - which will give a darker look to your water, protect against fungus on the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom