GBR Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcarl_10gal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had GBRs since August. I have noticed they have not grown to much since I got them. I would like to make sure they have reached the appropriate size and possibly try to breed them. I feed them a mix of the tetra flakes and freeze dried blood worms. I have some pictures of the females and the other which im not sure the sex. I tried to grab a few pictures for size comparisons but they are both about the same size and maybe an inch long. My adult cherry barbs are a bit longer and for sure fatter. I'd say the rams are about a inch. Is this the appropriate size? What is the sex of the other ram? Any tips for breeding?

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 91
Yours seem rather dark in color. Were they always like that? They should eventually be larger, like 2-3". What about your tank size, water parameters, water change schedule?

Freeze-dried bloodworms a couple of times a week is good. Make sure that you are soaking them in water for a few minutes prior to feeding, as freeze-dried foods can swell inside their stomachs. I'd go with a better flake or pellet food. I feed New Life Spectrum Optimum Community Flakes daily and supplement with New Life Spectrum Thera-A 1 mm sinking pellets. I also give them a fasting day, as GBRs are subject to over-eating.

Looks like you may have 2 females there. Food is bug with these guys too. I feed primarily frozen food, brine shrimp, cyclops and blood worms. Some cobalt flake and omega one super flake.. one inch is pretty small..it's a bit concerning that they have not grown in the 4-5 months you've had them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Water params are ph:6.7 kh: 5 gh:6-7 nitrates 10-20. 26 gallon tank. I didnt know about the freeze dried food could expand ill start to soak it. Will frozen foods be better?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Heres a picture of the female a week or so after i got them (this picture was in September)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418913834.661296.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418913834.661296.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 92
Frozen is always better. I really like the new super brine, infused with spirulina... bloodworms once a week, flake once or twice a week. Frozen peas every so often. . What temp you at?

About 77 deg.

Too cold, they like 80 min.. makes a big difference w rams.. i keep my ram tank at 81, plants don't mind.

Okay, ill crank it up. Would that slow their growth though?

Absolutely, coupled with inadequate diet. No offense, just trying to help;)

Yep, I keep my rams at 80 F, and that's about the lowest I'm comfortable going. Their immune systems have difficulty below that. 82-84 is supposedly optimal. You'll also want to keep those nitrates closer to 10 ppm than 20 ppm.

Got the tank up to 82. Will be going by LFS tomorrow most likely, may trade the ram in question for a male and pick up some frozen foods. We shall see.

Careful on the temp, not all your other fish will appreciate higher than 80-81.. i know it sounds like splitting hairs..

I have cherry barbs, rummy nose tetras, bn pleco, sae's and oto's. Any I should be concerned about?

Pleco... My tank is at 83 for my rams which my cories and guppies don't love but they will live- it's a lot cooler near the bottom anyway, around 80. I've had major issues below 80. Lost a male yesterday to huge wounds that would not heal- I thought temp was too low.
Edit- maybe barbs also

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I've had GBRs since August. I have noticed they have not grown to much since I got them. I would like to make sure they have reached the appropriate size and possibly try to breed them. I feed them a mix of the tetra flakes and freeze dried blood worms. I have some pictures of the females and the other which im not sure the sex. I tried to grab a few pictures for size comparisons but they are both about the same size and maybe an inch long. My adult cherry barbs are a bit longer and for sure fatter. I'd say the rams are about a inch. Is this the appropriate size? What is the sex of the other ram? Any tips for breeding?

Unfortunately Looks like you have Bolivian Rams not GBRs...there is a difference in the two; Bolivian rams are def. not as colorful as GBRs and have a different look to them. I have a pair of Bolivian Rams as well...I love mine and they love the warm temps ...my tank is 82 deg.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unfortunately Looks like you have Bolivian Rams not GBRs...there is a difference in the two; Bolivian rams are def. not as colorful as GBRs and have a different look to them. I have a pair of Bolivian Rams as well...I love mine and they love the warm temps ...my tank is 82 deg.

Nope, def. Not bolivians. . If anything.. closer to a wc strain...

I disagree looks like text book Bolivians....wc strain?

I could be wrong?? Good looking fish anyways!

I disagree looks like text book Bolivians....wc strain?

You're 110% wrong, it's ok;) bolivians do not have pink bellies. wc or wild caught rams will have less in your face coloration..

I could be wrong?? Good looking fish anyways!

Back
Top Bottom