GBR Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eschie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As I set up and plan my tank for a pair of GBRs to hopefully breed in the future, my research shows that they mostly are accustomed to soft water especially when it come to breeding time. The problem is, I live in central Texas and were known for notoriously hard water.

I was wondering what are some ways to bring down the hardness of my water besides using drift wood? I was also wondering about water changes and how that would affect my levels and health of the GBRs.

I think I read in tropical hobbyist may the other night at work something about using Indian almond leaves to help soften water. I know there are also extracts you can add to your water.

You can also add peat to the filter just put it in a mesh bag and fit it in with the media that should help soften it.

Check with your supplier what water they are raised in to begin with. If they are being bred locally in similar water conditions there may be no need to start changing your water chemistry.
If they are being bred in soft acidic water and your water is that hard you may want to consider an RO unit or finding a cheap supply of RO water but long term producing your own will probably work our far cheaper.
Indian almond leaves, alder cones, bogwood and peat will all soften your water to a point but if your water is extremely hard they will only be able to do so much unless you remove some of that carbonate hardness from your water.

How would using blackwater extract work for the fish help?

Well as dreadz pointed out you wanna match the water of your supplier or breeder as closley as possible because it is what they are used to and fish do have ptefered ph but will adjust to just about any ph level as long as its a gradual change so as to not give them ph shock

The problem with that is the petsmart by me had GBRs for $6 while the only LFS carrying them by me sell them for $20. And the petsmart doesn't know where they are bred.

I work for petsmart in Easton Maryland and I know that all animals that pet smart gets come from ADA certified breeders

Alright, I guess I'll ask around to see if anyone else there knows. Thanks for the info :)

I know at our petsmart we test water weekly and the ph is probably high cuz I'm sure they are on town water so they'll be able to tell you their phone levels so u can match them

Do you think they would still be able to breed in some harder and higher pH water?

The easiest way to soften your water is going to be to run a mix of tap and RO water.

I started breeding rams last month. I'v had three pairs spawn 5 times and all were done in PH of 6.8 to 7.0 water.

Peat is your best bet to reduce PH but you can also order almond leaves on eBay. The leaves will tannis the water and have to be refreshed. I haven't used them but Rivercats does. She would be the person to talk to about them.

I would say that if you plan to breed rams. Spend the money for quality. Don't buy a cheap fish to start. You want the best qualities you can get in the breeding pair. Remember that breeding rams isn't that hard. The hard part is getting the fry to live and grow to the next stage. Buying the breeding pair cheap isn't going to help you do that. Also,higher quality will help you sell your young if and when you get to that point.

67720-albums10791-picture47582.jpg
One of my pairs

Also your best bet is to buy a group in the hope of getting one pair and re-home the others. rams don't always pair just because you have a male and female.

Last edited:
Those are such pretty fish!

Would it be alright to get 2 females and a male an let them pair up that way?

Those are such pretty fish!

Would it be alright to get 2 females and a male an let them pair up that way?

Back
Top Bottom