GBRs and EBRs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkfalcon

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have a community tank. So far I only have 3 GBRs (1 already died) inside it, and they tend to stay in the bottom of the tank, corner of the tank, or below woods and rocks. I saw in the internet that GBRs are territorial, and they might attack other fish with the same or slightly bigger size than them if they get close to their territory (or at least if they feel disturbed). That's why I moved them from my guppy + neon tetra tank which is only 2-3 gallons big into a tank which is (more or less) 10 gallon big - and it's the community tank that I'm talking about here.

The GBRs didn't attack anyone there (so far). Then I bumped into EBR in a store somewhere, and I wanted to buy them. The problem is, I'm not sure if EBR is as vicious/violent as GBRs or maybe EBR is not as vicious as GBR??

I mean, is EBR peaceful or they tend to attack other fishes inside their territory (like my GBRs)?? Because I have mollies and GBRs and yellow labs (small sized, not big yet) and also a couple of small gold fishes.

Ok, first off: In a 10 gallon tank, a few goldfish, those GBR, mollies and yellow labs something is bound to go wrong.

Yellow labs will outgrow that tank and IMO require at LEAST a 40 breeder to be somewhat happy. Not to mention that they also need other cichlids to spread out aggression on.

GBR get to a decent size (3") and the minimum tanks is for them alone would be a 10 gallon, and even then I would only put 1 in. Any more than that would most likely result in huge territorial battles and probably a dead fish. The 2 in my 16 sometimes go at it, I don't think I'd want to know what they'd do to each other in 10.

With that in mind, forget the EBR. Until you can actually house the fish you have right now properly, don't take any other fish into consideration. Goldfish get huge as well, and in the proper conditions will get huge and require at least 40 breeder. Do some research please.

Hello :)

I wouldn't add anything else to these tanks.

They got enough problems as is.

Yellow labs are African cichlids and are very territorial, and gets much too large(6 inches!) for this tank.

Goldfish are peaceful, but get even larger(10+ inches!) and do not belong in a tank this size. They are also coldwater and prefer colder temperatures than these tropical fish.

With all these fish in a little 10g (and even that other small tank) I'd wonder what your water parameters run every week? Was the tank cycled?

Caleb

I did some research and they say that only the male yellow labs are territorial, the female tend to not be territorial. And they're currently 3-4 cm long atm (1.5 inch perhaps??).

The GBRs is currently less than an inch long.

I have 3 different kinds of goldfish + 1 kind of koi. Butterfly Koi, Comet goldfish, Oranda or Fantail (I forgot) and common goldfish. From these goldfish, only the butterfly koi is the biggest one and will be moved into a pond or something else bigger than the current tank. The comet and common goldfish won't grow that big so they're not a problem for this tank.

I have more than 10 Angelfishes, pink danios, and other fishes... I will probably remove the yellow labs and the GBRs (I already removed the black tetras and hornet cichlid from this tank).

But still, no one answered my question, is EBR friendly or not?? Or they're territorial like GBR??

The problems won't occur now, but good thing I asked.... So I can prevent this from happening....

I already had trouble with the yellow lab 3 weeks ago. Now the yellow labs (after I asked the shopkeeper to switch the male ones with the female ones) won't attack my goldfishes anymore. I already test this in a 2-3 gallon sized tank. I put 1 butterfly koi, 4 comet goldfishes, 2 common goldfishes, 2 golden black mollies and 3 rosy barbs and 4 lemon labs (1 male, 3 female). At first there were 3 males, but they beat up each other until I have 1 male left (and they took out 3 of my common goldfishes :'( ). And then I switch that male with female and there was no more fighting (but chasing still exist, the molly chased the female yellow lab everywhere xD ).

EBR Are just like GBR in their personalities and aggression. I wanted to answer your actual question first. Second, you really should rehome the goldies and labs. Especially the koi. The GBR require 80f and up. The koi will tolerate this, but its a mountainous cold water fish. Belongs in 150gl and up. Ponds are best by the end of its growing. Your stocking is very bad.you have central american community fish, African Aggressive fish, and SA mikrogeophagous fish all in a tank thats suitable for just your CA community. Your labs are young and will get biiiig n mean compared to its mates. Not just the males either. You really need to forget your LFS they sound like idiots that just want your money. I have bred & kept all of these fish so I DO know about them VERY WELL.

Please rethink your tanks. You wont find a different opinion here. Good luck and heed the advice given for your poor fishes sake.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, what about that "40 breeder" you've been talking about??? I don't know what it means (newbie here xD).

And.... What is the CA community fish?? I want to learn more form experienced people like you, because I plan to make a fish store in the far future (but not too far xD). And so I want to learn more so I won't be those people in those LFS who can't explain this thoroughly. Since I want to categorize my fishes into => community fishes, aquascape fishes, aggressive and territorial fishes, and predators :D

I already rethink about the tank, but another tank is the problem.... I can't afford to buy it yet.... But if I'm going to buy this other tank, how big should I aim for??? I need the tank to be able to contain all of my aggressive fish (the labs and GBRs), and there are currently 4 labs and 3 GBRs (7 of them).

I will probably make a video to show the tank to this forum, and post it in the "Members Freshwater Tanks" and ask about:
1. Can they live happily-ever-after?? Peacefully, with no fights and no bity AND no deaths?
2. If this tank is over crowded, how should I group them?? Example: Fish A, B and C in tank 1; Fish D, E, F and G in tank 2; and so on
3. Can you tell how many species in this tank, complete with their names?? Because I need help identifying some of them....

The labs will kill your GBR once mature. CA means central american. GBR & labs need completely different water. one needs hard water. The other soft water. 40b means 40 gallon breeder tank. Which would only be ok for 3-5 labs, only one of those could be male. The 2 GBR will be fine by themselves in a 10 gl. The koi n goldies.... Gotta go, bro.

1. no
2. Previous post
3. Need to see them. But know most. From your post.

1. no
2. Previous post
3. Need to see them. But know most. From your post.

Lol, the fishes in the tank will have no more labs and GBRs, so don't answer the questions now lol xD. Answer the question later after I uploaded the video to youtube....

The labs will kill your GBR once mature. CA means central american. GBR & labs need completely different water. one needs hard water. The other soft water. 40b means 40 gallon breeder tank. Which would only be ok for 3-5 labs, only one of those could be male. The 2 GBR will be fine by themselves in a 10 gl. The koi n goldies.... Gotta go, bro.

So.. which fishes (from the ones that I mentioned) are CA??

So I need to have a tank only for GBRs??? Can I put another fish to those GBRs??? It's going to be boring to see only GBRs inside a tank....

As for the labs, I might switch them with other fish in the future

And why all cichlids are aggressive/killers/territorial?? Is that they're nature or something??

Not ALL cichlids are. But most. Yes thats just their nature. Where they come from they have to be. Not ALL cichlids are compatible because they're cichlids. Cichlids are found all over. Which means tank needs and environments will vary per species/location.

Tank size has alot to do with what you can keep with what. In a 10gl id say only GBR. in a 20 or bigger you could add some(a few tetras. I.E. nano fish school of say 6.

The ones that are CA.... gups, mollies, swordtails, etc....

The guppies are not in the same tank as the GBRs now so don't worry xD

So.... Another problem rise.... My father is also new to the world of aquariums, and without any proper knowledge he just bought rainbow sharks with the size of 4-5 cm each (there are 5 of them). Are these sharks dangerous for my fishes??? Or they will only stick to the bottom of the tank??

They're fairly peaceful. But do require a 40b or better in my opinion.

You really need to get some bigger tanks. 3- 40gallon breeder tanks will do you perfectly for the situation. Lol NO MORE FISH PURCHASES. Your way over stocked in a 10gl. Waaaaaay.

Yes I know.... I only go to fish stores to buy decorations and other needs.... But my father..... He is just too tempted to buy fishes and get more colors... It's a problem, I need to tell him tomorrow.....

And besides I already have all I wanted to buy:
1. Pure white Angelfish
2. Full silver/white Butterfly koi
3. Neon tetras
4. Guppies
5. Red Cherry Shrimps
6. Swordtails
7. Comet Goldfish
8. Full Orange Common Goldfish

The rest of the fishes in the tank are....... The ones that my father bought....

You need to research, and read all you can. I would only keep that stocking in a 150gl because the koi get huuuuge... 55gl without the koi and goldfish. I keep my koi outside in ponds.

Back
Top Bottom